A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Throwback Thursday! - (MUSICALS!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

During the summer before 4th grade, I went to see a community theater production of Annie. Ever since then, I knew that I wanted to perform! Luckily, there was a local community theater about ten minutes from my house that did shows every summer. And luckily, my parents let me participate every year! 

If it wasn't for doing community theater, I wouldn't have met some of my best friends. I have CRAZY memories from all the rehearsals and shows we did together... not to mention the parties and beach trips! My life would not have been as fun and exciting if I had never gotten involved in theater.


As an adult with several "real" jobs, I don't make the time to do shows anymore. It is extremely time consuming and exhausting. The last show I did was about three or four years ago. Every time I see a show, I miss performing and want to get involved again.

In honor of Throwback Thursday, here are some pictures from musicals I was in. I am certainly not including pictures of every musical I was in, but here are some I could easily find pictures from!

My family and I after a performance of The Will Rogers Follies in 1995. I was a Zigfield Girl (the youngest!) and my older brother played the drums in the pit. I actually originally didn't get cast because they thought I was too young (13), but when one of the girls dropped out, they called me and offered me a spot! I WAS SO HAPPY!

Here is me as Liza in Peter Pan from 1996. A couple of my high school friends were Indians. We actually used the same flying special effects that they used on Broadway. I was originally told that I was going to get to fly, but then I didn't. I was bummed! My younger brother played the part of a Lost Boy and my older brother played drums in the pit.


When I was a sophomore in high school, a youth theater group a little bit of a distance from where I lived was doing a show I was OBSESSED with...


I got to perform in the chorus and had so much fun!

This is me and my dance partner during the prom scene. I had such a crush on him! He was cute, smelled really good, and was really nice. Unfortunately he was gay so he had no interest in me!

Dancing in Brigadoon during the summer of '97.

I had to include this picture of me and my grandparents after a performance of Brigadoon. My grandpa passed away in 2001. (I can't believe it was that long ago, no wonder I miss him so much!) This is a great picture of him because it's exactly how I remember him.

During the summer before I left for college (2000), I was in a hilarious show called A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. This is me and one of my best friends, Ashley. We played courtesans. We didn't have big parts but we had big costumes!

Me and my friend Jared during The Music Man (2002). I played Zaneeta and was the choreographer. This show marked the first of many shows I performed and choreographed.

Tap dancing in the Emerald City in the show Wizard of Oz (2003).

Dancing during the Havana scene in Guys and Dolls (2005).
I remember my dance partner memorized creepy things to say in Spanish to make me laugh while we were dancing. Fun times!

Another Guys and Dolls picture. That's my friend Maren as Adelaide and I was a Hot Box dancer. This was one of my favorite shows to choreograph!

My big hair was good for something! This is me as Wendy Jo in Footloose (2006)! This was the first time I choreographed Footloose- I ended choreographing it again several years later at the school district I work at. This was also the first show Paul ever saw me perform in!

In 2011, at the age of 29, I got to perform in one of my bucket list shows...


I was in the chorus, so I sang and danced in a lot of small parts. I was also Alexi Darling. "Mark Cohen, Alexi Darling, from Buzzzzzline!"

Even if you know theater, you will never, ever guess what show this is from... GODSPELL (2011)! Yeah, our director had a different vision and made our version set in an office. That's me and my friend Randy. I performed in countless shows with Randy, now he is a big time theater performer and improv-er in Harrisburg.

Did you ever perform in high school musicals or community theater?

20 comments:

  1. My mom took my sisters and I to see Annie in NYC when I was 7. I actually saw the actress to play Annie getting out of her car in front of the theater. From then on I have always LOVED the theater and have been to too many shows to count (the last one being Annie w/ Rick for our anniversary date). If I could sing then I would have pursued it, I think. I can dance but really can't hold a tune.

    How blessed you are to have been in so many productions! I'm impressed w/ all your skills from singing to dancing to choreography! Wow, girl. That is awesome!

    P.S. I am not sure your exact dates in CO but Wicked is coming to Denver. I am going to see it the first weekend in June!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie must be the show that inspires little girls!

      Have you seen Wicked? You will love it! We will only actually be in Denver ONE night, and we are hanging out with Paul's cousin that night. And I know this may sound weird but I want to be OUTSIDE as much as possible when I am on vacation somewhere as beautiful as CO!

      Delete
    2. I completely understand wanting to be outside and enjoy! And, yes, this will be my 4th time to see Wicked. It's my favorite!

      Delete
  2. I have never been in a musical--no singing for me! (and the thought of being on stage frightens me!)
    My youngest is showing an interest in being in the musicals at school...maybe I will be in the band in the pit for something to do while I wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Make it a family affair. :)

      Delete
  3. This was such a fun post! I loved seeing all the pics of you performing and doing what you love. I enjoy seeing musicals but I cannot sing at all so I've never been in one. I LOVE singing though. Adam tells me all the time to go get singing lessons (he says for my own benefit, but I think he really means for the benefit of his ears). I'm too nervous to do it though. I only sing in front of him and Cecil... oh poor Cecil I sing to him all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sing to my kitties too. :) I bet you are a fine singer. So many people say, "I can't sing" but I have only met like 1 or 2 people who REALLY actually can't sing!

      Delete
  4. I loved seeing all these old pics! I was never into musicals or theater, but I did dance when I was growing up, and we had recitals every year. Its always fun to look back on those old pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so talented! When our high school would put on the Spring musical each year I always thought it would have been fun to be a part of it but I was too shy back then. Instead, my first job out of college was working for a professional theatre company. I got to see all the great shows from Showboat, Oklahoma, Meet me in St.Lois, to Jesus Christ Super Star ( which is my favorite). I also worked up enough nerve to be able to give the opening speech on stage and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

    Like you, I also like Rent. That will hold a very special place in my heart because for one of our first dates scott took me to NYC to see it. It was quite a surprise. Now that we're married those big gestures don't happen as often..lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool you got to work for a professional company! I also LOVE JCS- another bucket list show!

      Wow great job on Scott for setting up that surprise trip! What year did you see it on B'way, do you remember?

      Delete
  6. Great pics! I can't believe you were in Rent, that's so cool!

    I can't sing or dance, so no musicals for me. I was in some plays in middle school and freshman year of high school though and that was really fun! I also did crew work that year for Aladdin and that was a blast as well.

    Has anyone ever told you you look just like the woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, usually I get Pam from The Office!

      Delete
    2. Do you mean Nia Verdalos (sp?)

      Delete
    3. Although I can definitely see the Pam resemblance, more so in the pics where your hair is lighter

      Delete
    4. Yeah, when I am not smiling, no makeup and just have "resting" face, I think I do look like Pam.

      Delete
  7. I have never seen The King and I. I always gravitated toward the shows with more dancing and such in them!

    I used to hate my curly hair but now I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been involved in theater for as long as I can remember. It really is SO time consuming. I love, love, love being a part of shows, but as an adult, the time commitment seems super daunting. Every single time I go to watch a show, however, I think, "I really need to get involved again." I go through phases. Theater saved my life at one point, after my long-term boyfriend and I broke up and I felt hopeless. The theater took me in and I found myself again. I made the best of friends. I owe a lot to our local theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like theater holds a special place in your heart as well. :) Glad you had such a great experience growing up with theater.

      Delete