I love Planet Fitness! I have been a member for years. Eight years, to be exact! During this time, I have joined and quit other gyms (LA Fitness and the YMCA when I was injured and needed to swim), but always remained a loyal member to Planet Fitness.
There are a million reasons I love PF and just a couple of things that I have found annoying over my time working out there. Let's take a closer look at my own personal pros and cons of Planet Fitness- The Judgement Free Zone!
- It's cheap. Sure, you don't get all the bells and whistles of other gyms... group classes, childcare, pool, basketball courts... But I don't need that stuff. $10 a month? That I do need!
- It's open 24 hours and on major holidays! My body doesn't care that it's Easter- it still wants to feel the burn!
- It's “The Judgement Free Zone”. All kinds of different people workout there. It's not just for the beautiful people, it's for everyone. (Awwwww....)
- I've never had to wait for a cardio machine. EVER.
- It's quick and dirty. No frills, just go in, hang your keys on a key hook, and get it done!
- The staff at the front desk always say goodbye when I leave. It's very nice!
- If I go before 6:00am I'm the youngest person there! And we all need to feel young sometimes, right?
- They don't call me. In the eight years I've belonged to PF, never once did I get a phone call. On the other hand, I was a member at LA Fitness for only a month and they called me at least four times. They were trying to get me to sign up for personal training sessions. I don't like my gym calling me!
- NO KIDS ALLOWED! When I went to the YMCA, there were always kids running around in the lobby and the locker room. It was just chaos. Now, I realize the YMCA is a place for kids and families, I'm not knocking it. It's just not my cup of tea. I'm glad I found a gym that is only for adults.
- There is a basket of tootsie rolls on the front desk and they have free pizza nights when you can have as much pizza as you want. It just doesn't make sense!
- You're not allowed to stand on the weight benches anymore. I got reprimanded for doing my knee ups. I guess they are afraid the benches will tip over? Which doesn't makes sense because if the benches are sturdy enough to sit and lay on while lifting, surely they should be sturdy enough for me to do my knee ups...
- If I go between 3:30pm-8:00pm I am the oldest and fattest person in the joint. True story.
- The women's locker room at my local PF is going to be closed for a whole MONTH this summer! No locker use or showers for a whole month! Luckily this is not occurring during the school year or it would really cramp my style. In the summer, it will be a minor annoyance that I guess I will have to get over.
...and that's it! I can only think of 4 things that sort of annoy me about PF.
What do you like about your gym? What annoys you?
Do you have strong feelings for or against Planet Fitness?