A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 9, 2014

3 Films



Kristen @ Sweat Courage started a new blog series- 10 Day You Challenge.

Today is 3 Films!

This is probably the most challenging post in the blog series for me. The reason is, there are so many great movies! And I don't think I could say there is a certain movie that "changed my life". So what I think I will do is list 3 movies that I really, really like, but are a little obscure. Maybe you'll watch one and enjoy it!

1. Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)



From imdb.com:

"Easily one of the best independent films ever produced. Matarazzo is brilliant perfection as 11 year old Dawn Wiener - Wiener Dog - who is trying desperately to survive the 7th grade NJ suburban hell with her existence as a gawky, nerdy yet smarter- than-the-rest protagonist facing every conceivable roadblock to hurdle including a dimwitted hunky high schooler and a seemingly threatening classmate who can't decide if he wants to "rape" her." -george schmidt

2. The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)


From imdb.com:

"This movie is not a big budget action film, this movie is not an emotional soap opera, or a tearjerker, this is a simple little film about the simple things in life. This South African produced film has proven to be one of the best I have seen in quite a long time. N!xau, a native bushman plays a bushman in this movie. A coke bottle has destroyed his villages life as it has been proven to be an excellent tool, but everyone wants it. So the young Bushman is told by the village elders to throw the ‘evil thing' off the ends of the earth.

On his long and perilous journey he runs into all kinds of different people, some terrorists, a man studying animals, an uptight urban teacher, and some trouble along the way, obviously. The movie is just so funny, the film is told from the point of view of the bushman, and is poignant as well. The movie manages to be very different, and extremely unconventional, at least by American standards." -edmundmuscke


3. Rat Race (2001)


From imdb.com:

"If you like non-sense movies with absurd scenes, this is for you. The movie succeeds without clever jokes, with its hilarious scenes to make fun of the greedy or the "don't know how to spend their money" people. One absurd scene follows the other, and if you like such humor you will soon find yourself convulsed with laughter. Sometimes it may appear forced, but this is a characteristic for the genre. If you just want a fun and action packed movie, this is a very good choice." -sazo-2
What are your 3 favorite films?
Have you seen any of these obscure movies?

11 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about The God's Must be Crazy! Wow, that is a blast from the past and I loved that movie--now I need to go rewatch it.

    So hard to narrow down to three films. But here is my list:
    1. All the "Bourne" movies (love!)
    2. Beautiful Girls (a must see)
    3. The Shawshank Redemption (truly epic film)

    Way more that I just love & adore. My list would be so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul loves Shawshank. :) I am going to tell you the reason why I don't like that movie and you are going to be like, "WHAT!?" I hate Morgan Freeman. There, I said it.

      Delete
    2. LOL--I get it.
      I hate The Doors & U2 which causes many people in my life a lot of angst.

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge film fan so it's always hard to narrow my favorites down, but my number 1 film has still never changed: Schindler's List. I also love The Shawshank Redemption and I still love the original Star Wars. Ooh, and I love Airplane too. And The Breakfast Club…ok I'm stopping. I only saw Welcome to the Dollhouse on your list and I wasn't a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a WEIRD movie. My friends and I were obsessed with it in HS. I loved The Bfast Club too! It would always be on TBS on Sunday afternoon and I would lay in my parent's room and watch it on their little TV.

      Delete
  3. I am so bad at movies. I fall asleep during every single movie I watch, so it takes me at least three days to watch one. But Rat Race was one of my very favorite movies ever. My brother does the best impression of Enrico. It kills me every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that The Gods Must be Crazy is the only one of those 3 that I've seen or even heard of.
    It is hard to pick one favorite movie (or even 3) but I think I would say Remember the Titans, Miracle and The Blind Side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend who was obsessed with Rat Race to the point that I ended up hating it. Your #2 movie looks so interesting, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the 3 I listed, I do think you would enjoy #2 :)

      Delete