A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 3, 2013

You just DON'T say this to people...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...




A woman said something very rude to me (probably unintentional) the other day. Her children were with her, so they all heard it too. I won't tell you why or where we were talking to begin with because even though I know this person does not read my blog, and it is highly unlikely you even know this person, I would like them to remain anonymous. Because the point of me writing this post is not in hopes that the offender sees this and feels bad about it. I don't want the offender to see this! But I am blogging about it because it has really been bothering me!!

What happened was, she asked how my husband was doing, and I went through the usual "Oh, he's great, yada yada yada" spiel (because he IS doing VERY WELL), and then she said, "Oh, well I can see you have been stressed because you are getting a lot of grey hairs."

SAY WHAT!!??

I was first embarrassed by her comment. I laughed uncomfortably and said something like, "Oh I've had these for awhile... My dad's said of the family goes grey early...  I did mean to dye it soon..."

I knew I should have dyed my hair a few weeks ago but I just didn't get around to it. It wasn't getting terrible, but I'm sure being outside in the natural sunlight made each and every grey stick out like a sore thumb. Then I started to feel self conscious about other flaws she might point out. If she could so easily mention my grey hair in front of all three of her children, what else would come out of her mouth? Did my eyebrows need waxed? How was my skin? If she looks at my fingernails, I'm toast...

Well, luckily she didn't mention anything else and our encounter ended. Later that night I started to get annoyed. I wish I had said something snarky back to her. I know that's mean, but I really wish I had. Or at least stood up for myself and said something like... I don't know!? What would have been a good reply!?


Please tell me what you would have said to this woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment