A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Running and Overshares

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What is it about running with someone that causes you to share with them the deepest, darkest, most private, and/or grossest things that are usually reserved for someone you know much better?

Seriously. There have been times I have bared my soul to someone on a run. And this someone wasn't a close friend. This was someone I had just met!

You start to learn that what's said on a run, stays on a run.

The phenomenon apparently works not just on runs, but walks. I couple of weeks ago, I went on a walk with a friend who I hadn't seen in about a year. We walked for close to two hours and the same thing happened that happens on a run. We cut the small talk and started talking about REAL shit. (Not shit as in "bad stuff". Just shit as in "stuff".)

I went to Google, like I sometimes do when researching a blog topic, and tried to look for any information at all about why runners tend to talk about sex, poop, and other private matters so easily on a run. I came across this interview with Jonah Berger who wrote a book entitled Contagious: Why Things Catch On. He mentions a study that confirms that physical activity makes people more likely to share. The interview is pretty short, and I want more answers. I guess I will have to get the book!


Don't worry, if I read it, I'll be sure to SHARE more information about the study!


If you're a runner, you probably know going on a run with someone is a great way to get to know someone better. Although, I wouldn't recommend it as a first date activity. The chance of an embarrassing overshare is a huge danger. Your date does not need to know what type of sports bra provides you with the best support. Just like you don't need to know about the very special place he chaffs.


However, if you ever run with me, don't worry if you overshare, because I will probably over share too! But I will follow proper running overshare etiquette. What is said on our run will stay on our run.




Like the say on Seinfeld... it's in the vault.



Do you tend to overshare on a run?

Tell me an overshare right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment