A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

NO surgery today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... This is going to be a fast and furious post because I need to SLEEP. Sorry if there are typos, I'm only going to proof this once!

Paul is NOT having surgery today. Yes, this is the third time Paul's surgery has been postponed or canceled. I am about to tell you the most I have ever told you about what is going on because I have gotten so many concerned messages from you all that I feel I owe it to you to tell you a little more in detail about what we're dealing with.

About 2 years ago, Paul was diagnosed with a stage two glioma (brain tumor). It is causing seizures. A year ago, he had surgery to take as much of the tumor out as possible. They can't take it all out. He has less seizures than he used to have, but he still has them if he does any sort of physical activity. Unless of course, we are in Colorado and he can use medical cannabis

Paul was supposed to have surgery tomorrow due to an enhancement (growth) they found on a June MRI. However, since the MRI he got yesterday morning showed NO CHANGE (HALLELUJAH!!!!) in the growth, his surgeon gave him two options. One option was to go ahead with the surgery, remove the growth, and also remove more of the temporal lobe to try to reduce seizures. The other option was to wait ten weeks, get another MRI to make sure the enhancement hasn't changed, and tweak meds to hopefully reduce seizures. Paul discussed the options at length with his surgeon and decided to take the "watch and wait" approach. This doesn't mean surgery is not in his future, it just means it's not happening today.

We cannot believe this change of plan but we are confident in it. I am always scared to talk to his doctor, because talking to the doctor makes everything real. But our discussion yesterday was very hopeful. He even told us about some new studies that may help Paul in the future.

Believe me, if Paul ever has surgery scheduled again, I am not even going to mention it because the last three times did not even come to fruition! Heck, we canceled a Hawaii trip because we thought he was having surgery. You probably don't even believe all this is happening the way it has unfolded, but believe me, it is. We sure didn't expect our life to be like this but that's the reality.

I hope someday our life isn't a whirlwind like this anymore.

Thank you ALL for your support. I don't want this to be the "my husband has a brain tumor" blog. Tomorrow it will go back to Meg Go Run and I will tell you all about the 400s I ran on Monday! Oh, and I am sure you are missing cat pictures since I haven't posted one since yesterday!
Seriously, I love you all, and thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. What an emotional roller coaster for you both! I am sorry this keeps happening but really great news in no new growth on the tumor! I hope you can enjoy your together time on the way home and have peace in knowing all will be OK.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on the non-growth!

    Is PA going to put medical marijuana up for vote this fall? Down here we have it on the ballot and there are billboards and commercials about it in rotation ... there's even a seminar called "how to build a marijuana based business." It all seems a bit silly and extravagant to me, but I really hope it passes here to help people like Paul (and because I just generally think it's a stupid thing to be illegal). I hope it's on the ballot for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is pretty much going to pass in PA as soon as they vote on it! I just hope it doesn't take a year to get the dispensaries up and running! Because you know that is going to take foreverrrrrrrr. I wish we were rich and could just get up and move to another state. I just know I wouldn't find a music teaching job right away and we NEED INSURANCE. I couldn't take a job with crap insurance.

      Delete
    2. I bet the dispensaries will pop up really quickly because there is big money to be made there. Really glad to hear that it's going to be voted on soon for you!

      Delete
  3. Wow, how frustrating to know you've arranged your plans 3X now. The most important thing is that Paul is well though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should write about anything you want to and sometimes that is going to be Paul and how awesome he is and sometimes it is going to be about Paul and his health - the beauty of blogging is having a safe place to share it all!!!
    I hope that the next 10 weeks of waiting and watching are peaceful, easy and seizure free!! And, I hope that the next MRI shows a decrease in the growth!!!
    You are such an incredibly strong person - hang in there and keep taking care of yourself, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rollercoaster!!!! I'm glad to hear there was a wait and see option. I will have my fingers crossed!

    And hopefully your state starts to look into medial marijuana. Even Florida has it in the ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, what a mess! I'm glad he didn't have to have surgery and hope the good news continues. It's your blog and you can write about whatever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I already mentioned this to you in a PM, but what a roller coaster you have both been on. I'll be sending good thoughts that there is no change in the size of the tumor in 10 weeks and that the medication adjustment will help him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh I'm so sorry the surgery keeps getting pushed back, but I'm glad there was no change in the growth! I'm sending positive and healthy vibes your way! And yes of course you can do a "never have I ever" post!

    ReplyDelete