A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Monday, January 29, 2018

Weekend Wrap Up!

 


Happy Monday!
I hope you had a great weekend.
Here's what we were up to...
(WARNING: LONG POST!!!!)


What a week! While I felt pretty good all week, Paul didn't feel great at all. It makes me so sad when he is sick. 

Work was just fine and dandy. Third grade played recorders, fourth grade played the ukuleles, kindergarten sang their little hearts out, and second grade did rhythm stations.

Funny story: I told the third graders they have to keep their recorder somewhere safe because it is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to take care of it. A boy raised his hand and asked, "Should I keep it in my dad's gun safe?"

My answer: "Well, you need to keep it somewhere SAFE, but you need to be able to have access to it. How about your backpack?"

When I got home Paul was camped out on the couch so I continued working on a tricky puzzle. I hope to finish it this weekend. As you can see, I'm almost done, but the end is taking me forever.


Paul's tummy finally starting rumbling and asking for food, so we had Chinese delivered from Chef Wongs. I do not eat Chinese a lot, but when I do eat it, I expect it to taste very saucy, salty, and basically very unhealthy. This stuff tasted borderline healthy. I did not like it at all. Any suggestions on where I can get real junky tasting Chinese food????

We both went to bed very early. Paul's sickness has been making him tired and I had a trail run bright and early the next morning!

Woah. The Chinese food gave me weird dreams! I dreamed that...

1. I was running trail in my knee high boots.
2. I brought rye chips for my friends to snack on during our trail run.
3. Dauphin had a beach and there was a festival going on.
4. I accidentally showed my students video footage of September 11th.
5. A teacher came to my classroom to steal a chair I had painted.
6. Me and my SIL were in a field with baby jack rabbits that kept doing cartwheels.
7. I rented a car but couldn't find my keys. Then I found the keys and couldn't find my ticket to get out of the garage. Then I found the ticket and couldn't find the keys... and so on, and so on...
8. Paul got a new cell phone that looked like a pen.

AND THAT'S JUST THE BEGINNING. Omg guys, there was some crazy shit going on in my brain last night.

After the night of crazy dreams, I met my friends Kristen, Anne, and John for a trail run on the AT! We started at Clark's Valley. I ran to Peter's Mountain (10 mi) but they ran to Peter's Mountain and then BACK (20 mi). They're training for ultras and I'm just running for fun. I wished I had time to do the whole 20 with them. It was so nice to be on the trail with friends!


When I got home I showered and practiced some music before Godspell rehearsal. Until someone stole my spot...


We rehearsed from 1pm until after 5pm but we got A LOT done. We blocked all of Act 1 and cleaned up some choreography. It is SO MUCH to remember and my memory is not that great. I hope we rehearse it a lot so I can keep everything I need to say/do/sing in my brain...

I was starving and tired after rehearsal so I stopped for a coffee and a snack at Sheetz. I'm going to have to remember to start packing food. It costs about $3.50 to park in Gettysburg on Saturdays and then if I spend $5 on food/coffee that starts to get expensive...


Paul was feeling A LOT better and requested Subway, so I stopped there on the way home and get him a foot long flatbread. I wanted soup. They had cheddar broccoli and baked potato. Because I was so hungry, I got both.

That night I finished my puzzle, then scared myself senseless reading this book! 


It is about a woman's journey to recover physically and psychologically after a teenager sneaked into her family's house and attacked them with a knife. This is a true story and the woman actually worked in my school district. She is retired now. When I worked with her (she was a principal at one of our schools) I did not know about this scary event in her past.
Oh, I love waking up at 4:30am on a Sunday and not being able to fall back asleep! NOT. I dragged my tired butt out of bed at 5am. I wanted to run all of my errands but nothing was open (obviously). Instead, I drank coffee, blogged, and then started a puzzle.



At 9am, I went out and about running some errands so we'd be ready for the week ahead. Then I came home and went for a 6 miler which included 6 hill repeats! I'm proud of myself for switching it up a bit.

Then it was off to Gettysburg for another 4 hour rehearsal. We mostly worked on music. I love singing and I love the challenge of the difficult music.


When I got home, we had one of our favorite wines!

Omg this wrap up was so long, I don't even know what to ask!

If you read the whole thing, I commend you.

21 comments:

  1. Healthy Chinese takeout is a thing?! That sounds like such an oxymoron haha. Sounds like you had a busy but fun weekend Meg.
    I'm glad rehearsals are going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure the Chinese food was healthy but it tasted healthy. I want it to taste junky! :)

      Delete
  2. I actually didn't think it was that long. I've been making my own chicken and broccoli lately but when I order Chinese out, there is really only one place in town I like it from but even then, I drain a lot of the sauce off of it!

    Wow, you had a lot of dreams for one night! I love when people remember dreams. I use to have one of those dream books that said if you dream about a certain thing, than this is what you are worried about! It was kind of fun but I have no idea how they could ever prove any of that.
    I am intrigued with that book you are reading now, mostly because it happened to someone local. I'm going to look it up right now!

    I hope Paul is feeling better. Scott was sick all weekend and still is. This winter bug is really hitting hard. From working with all the kids, i'm surprised I didn't get sick yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so you do not like saucy Chinese food. That is definitely healthier. I guess the worst thing about Chinese food is probably the sodium, don't you? Yeah the dreams were intense! I usually do remember my dreams but not always so vividly. Good luck looking up info on the book I am reading. I can't find ANYTHING online about it. There are no pictures in the book and I want to see pictures. Oh, I was listening to a podcast about the disappearance of Ray Ricar this weekend. I know he disappeared up in the Lewisburg area. Are you familiar with that?

      Delete
    2. O MY goodness! Yes, that Ray Ricar was such a hot topic here for a while. Did you know Nancy Grace did a show on him? I often shop at the shopping center where his car was found. We will go there sometime (it's a neat little place), when you visit!

      Delete
    3. You need to give me a tour of all the true crime locations in your area. ;)

      Delete
  3. I made it through! Mostly because I’m intrigued about the proper way to train to run - hill repeats etc. My strategy has been “I have 1/2 hour and I feel like running” and then running for 1/2 hour. No? That won’t get be all marathon-y?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am not training for a marathon right now, I am just running for fitness and to be able to do some trail runs on the weekends. I have just been running the same 6 mile route around my hood for weeks and today I felt like mixing it up, so hills it was!

      Delete
  4. A kid that wanted to keep his recorder inside his Dad's gun safe? Wow! I don't know what to say with that, but I do admire your very good answer to him.

    At the risk of sounding obnoxious, I can't eat at Chef Wongs, their food doesn't taste like anything to me, and they put egg in their friend rice, and I can't stand that! My favorite Chinese in the west shore is China Wok in Lemoyne. I love their chicken and broccoli! I haven't had that in a long time!

    Is your wine called Tears of Gettysburg? That's an interesting name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can be happy his dad is keeping guns in a safe! I mean, proper gun safety is important right? I did notice there was egg in the rice! I didn't mind it. I will have to try China Wok, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. I am really impressed that you were up so early on Sunday (even if not by choice) when you ran 10 trail miles and rehearsed the day before. You had quite the weekend!

    Seeing that recorder gave me the chills. We had those in elementary school and my sister would play "hot cross buns" non-stop! haha it drove me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No don't be impressed, I would have LOVED to sleep until 10!

      Haha Hot cross buns is the first song I teach the students.

      Delete
  6. I had lunch with a friend on Friday, and we both went to school in the Boston area. We started talking about what we missed, and she said good Chinese food. The town I grew up in had 3 places, and now it's down to one. When I moved to Dallas I couldn't find a good place, and the only good places I've found in Colorado are in Granby and Winter Park. Not close to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are some good places in Denver, but that's a drive for you.

      Delete
  7. As a music teacher you should be proud to know that recorders are doing good all over the world! My son has started to play the saxophone (he is playing trumpet in band) and told me that he is having an easy time learning it because it's just like his recorder. Saxophone playing is now his side gig. Hope he likes the trumpet the best though, because that's the one we paid for! The other is just a loaner from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! On the sax the fingering for B, A and G is the same as the recorder! That is awesome that Zach is now playing two instruments! What skill. Does Sydney play an instrument?

      Delete
    2. She plays clarinet (in band) and flute (for fun!). We're getting to be quite the musical family. Sadly, Alan can't even read music or play a tune :)

      Delete
  8. Did I mention that I love that you do puzzles? Do you buy them new? What do you do with them when you're done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find a good sale I will buy one new but mostly I get them at thrift stores for anywhere between 97 cents - $3.00! When I am done I either give them away or keep them. I have over 100 in basement, all organized. :) I loan them out whenever someone wants one. If I don't want it back, I will just tell them to pass it along. But some I want back because I will do them more than once.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's cool! I should check out the thrift store (I haven't been in ages!)... are the puzzles mostly complete when you buy them from there?

      I really want to get one of the food puzzles by Brittany Wright (from Barnes and Nobles).

      Delete
    3. Yes usually all the pieces are there! I find people take great care and put them in zip loc bags and tape the boxes shut. ONCE in a great while I may be missing a piece but honestly I can't say for sure it's not me who lost it.

      Delete