A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

3 Podcasts

Today I want to recommend 3 podcasts that are my favorites in regards to current events and politics: 










All three podcasts have their place in my little liberal current events heart. 

If I want to know wonky policy information (like what exactly IS the Visa lottery???), I listen to The Weeds.

If I'm in the mood for a sit down one on one interview, The Ezra Klein Show it is.

If I want to hear some sometimes snarky commentary on what has been happening in the world over the past 24-48 hours, it's the dudes on Pod Save America.

I don't listen to every episode these podcasts put out. If I read the description and I'm not feeling it, I will skip.

Here's a little description of each podcast and episode recommendations if appropriate. (Dates included so you can scroll down and find it easily after you subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.)

Pod Save America:

The hosts of this podcast are all former advisors to Obama:

Jon Favreau (speechwriter for Obama)
Dan Pfieffer (Senior Advisor to Obama)
Jon Lovett (political speechwriter)
Tommy Vietor (National Security Council spokesperson)

Though these men are young, they are smart. Once in a great while they get a tinge bro-y... but for the most part they aren't. They can definitely be sarcastic and snarky... and HILARIOUS.

Description from their website: "A no-bullshit conversation about politics hosted by Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer and Tommy Vietor that breaks down the week’s news and helps people figure out what matters and how to help."

While all of these podcasts are skeptical of the current administration, this podcast is VERY partisan, so if you lean liberal you will find yourself in an echo chamber. The next two podcasts I believe take a more objective look at things, however, they do call it as they see it.

The Ezra Klein Show:

Ezra Klein is the founder and editor-at-large of Vox. He is SO smart and calm. He also has a soothing voice. Ezra sits down for one on one interviews that are extremely thought provoking. Ezra will make you a better thinker.

Episode suggestions:

What Life Is Like in North Korea (12-18-17)

Rebecca Traister on #MeToo, female rage, and Anita Hill (11-20-17)


The Weeds:

If you want to get into the weeds of POLICY and here a bunch of wonks explain it in a way you will understand, this is the podcast for you. Sometimes Ezra Klein is on the podcasts. Sarah Kliff and Matt Yglesias normally always are, as well as a girl named Darrah, who I can't figure out who she is yet. I will warn you, Matt's voice really bugs me but he's a good dude, so I put up with it.

Episode suggestions:

The Shithole Special (1-12-18)
Why is the US Life Expectancy Falling? (1-2-18)

Lie back, light up, and enjoy some executive time (1-9-18)
Net Neutrality Explained (12-5-17)

One thing all of these podcasts have in common are that they express FACTS. Now that is not to say the hosts won't share their opinions on a topic. But you can trust that if, for instance, Matt Yglesias on The Weeds lays out exactly how the Visa lottery works, you can trust that yes, indeed, that is how it works.

I know we're living in an era where some think facts don't matter, but I assure you, the hosts of these podcasts think facts matter a lot.

As much as I enjoy CNN, listening to the partisan commentators can get super boring and I feel dumber having had listened to it. With these podcasts, I actually feel like I have learned something after listening!
Have you listened to any of these podcasts?
Give us a recommendation!

14 comments:

  1. I feel like I should be listening to these podcasts but I just can't. So many days I feel over stimulated by politics. Literally, sometimes I'll read an article or comments section and my heart will be absolutely racing because I'm so angry or so worried ... and on rare occasion, so happy.

    The only podcasts I listen to now are comedy podcasts. I need the mental break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, never read the comments sections! They will enrage you! These podcasts are not enraging. Well, the guys at Pod Save America, like I said, can be snarky and stuff, so they could maybe rile you up. But Ezra and The Weeds.... they're not alarmists and they don't just bitch and moan, they analyze topics, etc. The Shit Hole Weeds episode taught me SO MUCH about immigration!

      I can appreciate needing a mental break. I just took a break from the news over the past several days. But now I am watching Morning Joe so I guess I am back on the news. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't listen to any of these podcasts before! The Ezra Klein episode on North Korea sounds like it would be extremely interesting.
    It seems like you enjoy political podcasts. I recommend American History Tellers. While it's not political, the current season is looking at the Cold War from a "normal" person perspective and how it affected civilian lives. That's probably a terrible explanation lol but it's a great podcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO interesting. It makes you realize the people in NK (not the regime, just the regular citizens) are people just like us and they are victims of the regime too.

      Thank you for the rec of American History Tellers. I am interested in history as well especially now because it helps us understand more about the world today. I will put it in my podcast feed and try it out. Thanks, Maureen!

      I feel like I should add that I listen to so many stupid reality tv podcasts too. There's plenty of "fluff" going into my ears as well! :)

      Delete
  3. I don't listen to podcast, but if I would pick one up, it would likely be the Pod Save America one, but only because Jon Favreau is in it, but he can definitely get a little bro like. I didn't realize he wrote speeches for Obama, in my mind he was just a screen writer/ director.

    Lately, I have not been in the mood to even listen to NPR, like yesterday, Smart Talk had Terry Madonna in for an interview on the Government Shut down, and he wasn't offering all the facts of immigration, only his view as a white male living safely in a country where he can express his views... and Calling DACA recipients Illegal Immigrants, completely discounting their lives as anything worth his attention. It was really stressing me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jon Favreau and I find him VERY attractive. But it's not so much that he is good looking- I mean, he is, but he's nothing super special. It's more his intelligence and humor that is attractive!

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way about Steve Inskeep and Jorge Ramos.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, Steve Inskeep... just did a google image! Never would have known!

      Delete
  4. I was going to write a post about what podcasts I listen to while I run! Pod Save America is definitely one of my favorites. Have you listened to Serial Killers Podcast? It’s pretty gruesome and I bet you’d love it. They’ve covered a lot of the major ones (Ted Bundy and stuff) but they’ve also dug up a few serial killers that I’ve never heard of. You should listen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have NOT listened to the Serial Killers podcast. Thank you for the rec! I should have known you already listen to Pod Save America. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't listen to podcasts often, but I have listened to a few episodes of "Pod Save America" and I thought it was well done and very informative.

    I am sure Ezras Podcast is good too (contentwise) but I just can't listen to him... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean by not being able to listen to Ezra! He kind of has a hoity toity voice!

      Delete
  6. Sounds kike Pod Saves America is a popular choice.

    I keep saying that I need to downloads some podcasts. Maybe this summer I'll download some to listen to on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good ones. THere are podcasts about EVERYTHING.

      Delete