A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Currently


Hey all, how's it going?
I'm... going.

I've got a Currently post coming at you today, written at 3:30am. Yeah... I'm having some major sleeping troubles. But hey, that makes this Currently post SUPER current!

Have a great Tuesday!


Current Running Situation: There are some trail races in February I am hoping to do! I'm not training for them or "racing" them. I just want to get out and enjoy the fresh air and nature. Depending on what time rehearsal starts that day, I want to do the Squirrelly Twail Wun at Pinchot Park. There's also the Super Bowl Trail Race in Maryland.

As far as my day to day running, I've been doing speed work on the treadmill about once a week (sometimes twice depending on weather). Otherwise, I'm just clocking about 6 miles around my neighborhood at a leisurely pace. I've definitely been enjoying the warmer weather this week and am excited to either be running in just ONE pair of pants or even SHORTS!

This happened on Sunday! 
Honestly, didn't even need the vest.

Current Sleeping Situation: Not good. Jelly wakes me up about three times a night for food by scratching the closet door or the open bedroom door. Yes, I could shut the bedroom door but he would scratch it anyway and I would hear it and wake up. He's not even that hungry, he'll just nibble on a couple kiblets. I think he just wants some attention. Because my cats are starving for attention, ya know?

If I could fall back asleep after waking up, things would be fine. But I can't. I lay awake for 2-3 hours before falling back asleep... and that's if I'm lucky. So I decided Paul is going to fill up their bowls with food before he goes to bed. Maybe the cats will get a little bit fat but right now I don't know what else to do!

So last night they didn't wake me up for food (since they had tons in their bowls) but I did wake up naturally at 2am and... never fell back asleep.

Guys, I hate to be Debby Downer but this terrible sleep schedule is really affecting my LIFE.

Taken at 4:45 this morning.
Already been up for nearly 3 hours... and I'm clearly thrilled about it.

Current Book: Silent Witnesses: The Often Gruesome and Always Fascinating History of Forensic Sciences. Often gruesome, indeed! Some of the cases discussed are from the 1700s. I thought my biggest fear was being murdered, but my new biggest fear is being murdered in the 1700s. People were freaking nuts back then and did disgusting things!



Current Podcast(s): Pod Save America. Jon Favreau (speechwriter for Obama), Dan Pfieffer (Senior Advisor to Obama), and Jon Lovett (political speechwriter), and Tommy Vietor (National Security Council spokesperson) host this show. It's smart, funny, and sometimes there are curse words, so don't listen to it around the kids! These guys keep me sane.



Current TV Show: There's nothing I'm sitting down and watching right now except sometimes we watch Colbert or Samantha Bee while we eat. But honestly, we are quite a bit behind and have 9 Colbys in the queue and 4 Samantha Bees!


Current Puzzle: This Wysocki from Goodwill. Brand new for $2.97. (Which is actually a little steep for a thrift store puzzle!)


Current Big Purchase: Omg guys, we bought a Miele vacuum. I know. I think it's going to be worth it though as long as it lasts us 20 years!!!! Don't worry, going to do a write up once we get it and try it out...


Current Food: Lebanon bologna sandwiches with cheese! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, I'll eat these sandwiches whenever!


Current Drink: Water. I need to be well and water will keep me well, right?

Current Cool Thing at School: Playing ukuleles with the 4th graders and watching them help each other. I love to see students working together.

Current Triumph: All of my outdoor Christmas lights are down except for the white icicle lights which are Paul's job. Now if only I could get the last little bit out of the carport and packed away in the basement where they belong...


Current Vacation Ideas: I keep changing my mind about what I want to do this summer. At first I thought, no flying, we will do a road trip to The Great Smoky Mountains and another one to Cape Cod. Now I am eyeing up Utah...

Current Excitement: Is it bad that I am already excited for spring? I know, there's over a week left in January and there's no doubt we will get snow into March. But guys, I'm done with winter!

Tell me something "current" about you!

22 comments:

  1. Girl you need sleep! I think you pop a sleeping pill and pass out tonight. I can't imagine how you are functioning because I wouldn't be. Currently loving the fact that I don't have to bundle up for runs! I'm not getting to excited though because I know there's going to be another cold snap between now and spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have to savor the warm weather when we can because you are right it will get frigid again!

      I used to take a sleeping pill every night for like two years but I stopped several months ago because they didn't work anymore- I think I became immune! I took one on Friday and SLEEP WAS BLISS!!!! I suppose I could take one but I don't want to get in the habit again.

      Delete
  2. Ok, so I just Lebanon bologna at the store yesterday! It may be my lunch for the rest of the week.

    I'm sorry this sleeping thing isn't working out for you. Maybe you take a nap as soon as you get home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!! Come to Utah! I will show you all the cool spots and we are close to Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, and the Mighty 5 Utah parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef). And, as always, you guys are more than welcome on our futon. You’ll just have to cozie on up to my kitties.

    I’m so sorry that you’ve been having so much trouble sleeping. That really sounds like torture. Can you try ambient sounds or something to stop you from hearing the cats and stuff? I really hope your sleep schedule gets resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally looking at the map today and some of them are so far south. What if we flew into Vegas and did Bryce Canyon and Zion? I do want to go to SLC though too. SOmetimes we fly into one city, drive, and fly out of another!

      Delete
  4. You know you're an adult when you really want to hear how that vacuum works - I need a new one SO bad. So I can't wait for your review, ha! So sorry about the sleep issues, we went through that with one of our cats too, she'd paw at the door all night long. We ended up using a baby gate by the door, long before we had our son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! It is so funny when you realize that you're OLD because you are interested in ______ (fill in the blank.) I remember when I started noticing garage doors on my runs and thinking about what kind of garage door I would like. I was like.... hmmm okay I am old!

      Delete
  5. I thought of you when I saw bologna at the grocery store over the weekend!!! hahaha I loved bologna growing up, I would literally go to the fridge and just grab a slice as a snack all on its own. So good!

    I'm sorry you're still having trouble sleeping. This is only the second time in my life I've had long-term trouble sleeping and it does wreck havoc on your life. When you lay there awake are you thinking of anything or is your mind just blank and unable to go to sleep? Mine is just blank, I don't think I'm worried about anything, just totally unable to sleep most nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it bologna or LEABANON bologna? Because I would never eat balogna.

      Sometimes I don't think about anything. Other times I think about all my regrets in life and Jelly dying.

      Delete
  6. Can you try a baby gate? Would they jump that? My parents use a baby gate when they visit so their cats aren't out in the house and eating all of Allie's food. One would eat it all, and one picks at it, realizes it's not his food, spits it out, and tries again. They sleep with my parents, and haven't tried jumping the gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would definitely jump that. And cry. And ruin my life. I even thought about an automatic food dispenser but Paul read the reviews and some people said their cats demolished it. Yes, mine would do that too.

      Delete
  7. I hope the new vaccuum works well! I saw your post for recommendations and we do like our robot one but it is fairly new so I HOPE it will last. I hope you can do your trail races too and am glad running is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like your robot! It looks awesome because it cleans FOR you. But when I thought of all the cat hair and cat litter that gets strewn around our house, I just didn't know if it could handle it.

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of that vacuum before. But then again, we bought a Dyson about 10 years ago and haven't had a need for a new one! I would like to get the kind that is supposed to be good for hair getting caught in the bottom though, because with 2 girls with long hair, ours gets all tangled up and Alan has to cut the hair out!
    That really sucks about your sleep and the cats. Have you considered putting them in a room at night? I know you might that that is mean, but seriously, they will be fine!! And you will sleep all night long.... and bonus - they will be SUPER excited to see you in the morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our first vacuum in 10 years. Our shark BIT THE DUST. You know you're old when you're excited for a new vacuum. Apparently it is supposed to be AMAZING. I will let you know. For the price it cost, it better perform miracles!

      So putting the cats in a room, well, I don't even need to pine over whether to do that or not because it is impossible. We live in a ranch house. The only doors (besides closets, and I"m not putting them in closets) is the two bedroom doors and the bathroom doors. The bedroom doors and bathroom doors are like RIGHT beside each other. So if I did put them in the guestroom or the bathroom, they are right there and I guarantee you they would scratch the door and cry ALL NIGHT. We just don't have a big enough house. I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hoping this is a phase. I mean, I have had my cats for 10 years and thy did not always do this.

      Delete
    2. That makes sense. Hope those kitties start behaving!

      Delete
  9. Ugh, sorry about the sleep situation. Not getting to sleep is the worst (it's torture!)

    Love that you keep mentioning the lebanon bologna cheese sandwiches LOL

    Also love that you've been doing so many puzzles. It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lebanon bologna is a big part of my life right now, what can I say. :)

      Thanks, San!

      Delete
  10. I am too scared to run trail alone so this looks like a good alternative. I can do a couple extra miles if I want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you got some sleep! Jelly is sleeping like a baby, and waking you up every 3 hours!

    I'm considering Squirrely Trial too, but waiting to see how the weather will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sometimes it can be so wet and muddy at the end of Feb.

      Delete