A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, February 8, 2019

A Freaking Fabulous Run!

On Thursday morning, I had the speediest outdoor run I had in a long time! As you know, over the past couple weeks I’ve been cranking up the speed but they have all be treadmill runs. In my opinion, it’s easier to run fast on the treadmill because you can just program the speed and then hang on! On the road, you have to work to keep the pace…

I was all bundled up in my fleece tights and zip up, but when I stepped outside, I realized I was SEVERELY overdressed. I went back inside and switched out the tights for shorts and the hoodie for a vest. That was much better.



 I can tell whether I’m going to have an effortlessly fast run right away. I wasn’t even a block from my house and I knew I was going to be trucking. I ran almost a mile and ended up in a neighborhood adjacent to mine. I like to run the outer square of that neighborhood, which is a little more than a mile. Sometimes I like to do a loop of two of the cross streets, which is about a half mile. I quickly decided that I would do the half mile loop HARD, and then the bigger loop at just the trucking pace I had started out doing. Then I I alternated like this:

½ mile
1 mile
½ mile
1 mile
½ mile

Then I ran back over to my neighborhood and added on a little extra so that it would equal a 10k. I will be honest… I purposefully picked up the pace for the end of this run!

I didn’t look at my pace at all, I just went by feel. I was very proud of the results!




Guys, I feel like if I can stay injury free, I may be in racing shape for the spring! But I don’t know if I really want to race… Just the thought of racing makes me have to vomit and poop!


Jelly stretched with me after...
Do you think it’s easier to run fast on the treadmill or the road?

What kind of run would you call this? Tempo? Speed work? Fartleks? A shit show?

10 comments:

  1. I think it's easier to run fast on the road! The treadmill is set and you can't vary your speed at will. But that's just me.

    Nice run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely see your point, and I think some days I feel that way too!

      Delete
  2. I'm much faster on the treadmill and sometimes I feel like treadmill running is a completely different sport than outside running. I'd call your type of run awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great paces! I hope you do stay healthy. You will be rocking it! :) I prefer to do speedwork on the treadmill, but it feels harder, and I feel like I'm kind of having help doing it, but I don't stress it too much. It all helps!! When I go outside I tend to run faster, and that makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky you have a treadmill at home though! I mean, you could also say I'm lucky the gym is 6 min away. But still, must be nice to just always have it available!

      Delete
  4. Yay for good runs! I agree that running fast outside is so much harder than on the TM.

    I want you to know I'm consistently still reading your blog but my stupid Safari won't let me comment - something in security settings update I don't know how to fix - and if I don't open your blog in Chrome I can't comment! Since I use Safari more frequently, that's why I can't always comment, unless I remember to go to Chrome later and go back to the blog. It's a mess lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, it is OKAY! You don't have to read OR comment. lol. But I'm glad you read. :) I read yours. :)

      Delete
  5. I would call that a tempo run... and a fast one at that. Nice work! I have yet to run a sub-8-minute mile.

    ReplyDelete