A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Squeezing in some races before 2015 comes to a close! (I signed up for TWO RACES!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You read that correctly. Ms. “I Don't Ever Race” has signed up for two more races! I'm going from running ZERO races in 2015 to running THREE during the last two months of the year! Actually now that I am doing the math, all three of my races are within 36 days of each other! Don't worry, there is a method to my madness.

I found a 10 miler in Dover that is part of the York Road Runners Club Winter series. It falls on the same weekend I am supposed to run 10 miles @ half marathon race pace. I thought it would be more exciting to run in a race than run a million loops around my neighborhood like I normally do. The coolest part is that the race doesn't start until 1:30pm! HOT DANG, late starts are my SHIT!

The weekend after that is the HYP 5 miler in Harrisburg. On that particular weekend, I have speed work scheduled, so I am counting the 5 miles as my speed work. This race came to my attention because some of my friends signed up for it. Peer pressure at it's finest, people.

I think 10 miles and 5 miles are going to be interesting race distances. I have never raced these distances before, so it looks like no matter what I am going to score a shiny PR! But obviously, you all know I have to set real goals for these races. After much thought and reviews of my runs over this past month, I have landed on some goals that are challenging, yet attainable.

These are my "pie-in-the-sky-everything-falls-into-place-weather-is-perfect-I-don't-have-to-stop-and-poop" goals!

11/8 Dover 10 miler GOAL: < 1:11:40 (7:10 pace or faster)

11/14 HYP 5 miler GOAL: < 35:00 (6:59 pace or faster)

Aren't you proud of me for putting my goals out there and risking FAILURE and having to tell all of my readers that I tried something and FAILED? You all know I struggle with that fear!


I haven't thought of a race plan for the 5 miler yet, but I do have a place for the 10 miler. I am going to run it similar to my last race pace run- focus on my average speed being anywhere between 7:10-7:20 per mile and assume I will negative split as my legs warm up- which is what usually happens. I feel like if I try to stay at a 7:10 the whole time, it may be harder than just allowing myself that ten second buffer and speed up a bit as I go along.

I'm super anxious and have to poop just thinking about these races, which probably means this will be good for me!
Are you squeezing in any races before 2015 comes to an end?
Have you ever raced the 10 mile or 5 mile distances?

20 comments:

  1. This is great news and you will not fail if you don't meet your goals. You just won't meet your goals but that will because you still have some more tweaking to do to fine tune things. That's all. Just signing up and letting the world know means VICTORY! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I am trying to look at it! Setting a lofty goal and announcing it is scary and a huge step for me!

      Delete
    2. ...I know and I am super proud of you, Megan! Super proud!!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, these sound like fun race distances! I like weird distances in races because they're automatic PRs haha. I think your goals sound really awesome! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the fact that they are weird distances too! For the 5 miler, I think, okay I can go out a little faster than a 10k, and for the 10 miler, I am thinking, "ooh 3 miles short of a half, piece of cake!"

      Delete
  3. Good for you! That's some crazy stuff going from zero races to three! It is more fun to change it up instead of just running around the neighborhood though, so that's great they worked out. I actually thought about running a marathon this weekend!! It wasn't even on my radar until my husband brought it up... and yes, 4 days before the marathon I'm still debating it. (stupid me, must say no!!) The end of the year is typically resting time for me because I'm usually past my prime after all of the racing in the Fall and I'm resting up for Winter training to start in early January! We do have some short, fun family races scheduled though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Well I look forward to hearing whether you run the marathon or not!

      Delete
  4. You may as well put all that training to good use! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I respect your courage and vulnerability for putting those time goals out there. They're realistic and you're a strong runner, so I fully believe in you! And if you don't get them, I'll give you spanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it is cool it fell on the right weekend! Oh and my dad is doing it too, I just found out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me smile :) Super yay for 1.) signing up for races and 2.) publicizing your goals That's a pretty big deal!!! Can't wait to see how you do--no matter *how* you do <3
    Helly on the Run

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never done a 5 or 10 mile race. I don't think we have anything like that around here. I wish we did! Like you, I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze any races in to 2015. We have a couple small 5Ks during the holidays, but I'm not sure if I am "ready" to be in the race environment. We'll see. I'm excited to follow your races and cheer you on from afar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those holiday 5ks may be more of a "fun" atmosphere and could take the pressure off being in a race environment? You could dress Axel in a santa hat!

      Delete
  9. Sounds great! I think its so good to do a few races around the same time, because you really get more comfortable with being uncomfortable. I can't wait to see how they go for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is precisely my goal! You put it into the most perfect words, thanks!

      Delete
  10. I see you ran a solid 10 miler today, congratulations! I have to catch up on all your blog post because your blog is one of my favorites. Doing report cards kind of suck right now LOL. Good luck on your five miler next weekend. 5 miles are kind of fun to race because is not too sure it is definitely not too long. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our's were just due, blech!!

      I am definitely interested in this 5 mile distance. I don't have a race plan yet!

      Delete