A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Pre-Race Rituals

Today, I am running the Dover 10 miler! I am very excited and nervous. My dad is running it too, so my mom and Paul are coming to cheer us on. No pressure. Heh heh. The race has definitely inspired this blog post!

Here are some things I always do before a race...

1. Shave my legs! I love having smooth legs for a race. This makes me feel like I have my shit together, feel like I am faster, and it is just more comfortable. I always shave race day morning or the night before.



2. Worry! I have been doing a fair amount of worrying these past few days. My IT Band feels achy, I can sense my period is coming soon (oh please oh please hold out until Monday!), and I just wonder if I am actually going to be able to hit the paces I desire.



3. REST! My M.O. is to rest for three days before a race- no matter the length. My trainer and friend Jennifer says if you have the balls to do it, you will FLY!



4. Go to the bathroom 50 times. On race morning, I average between 40-50 bowel movements. Just kidding, it's not that much, but it is a lot!



5. Lay out my clothes from bottom to top. Sneakers, socks, shorts, etc. I do it like that to make sure I don't miss anything!

Orange or pink shorts!?

6. Eat well/carb up. For me, eating well doesn't mean ONLY eating healthy stuff. It means to just eat the way I normally did through my training. And as far as "carbo loading" goes, I like to up my carb intake a couple days before the race, not just eat a ton the day before. I am not being crazy and tracking everything. I'm just trying to be mindful.


Salad w/ dill pickle chips on top = mindful!

I am sure there are other things I do, but that's all I have for now!
What are some of your pre-race rituals?

9 comments:

  1. Have an awesome race and don't forget to have FUN! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the same... including poop a lot! :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL you and I have a lot of the same prerace rituals. i'm pretty sure I go to the bathroom of it 50 times as well LOL and I always shave my legs before a race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pre-race rituals are super similar. I start carbing up a couple of days in advance too. I refuse to go crazy the day before a race because I am terrified of having an upset stomach on race day. That happened to me once when I ate a dinner that was way too big for race night and taught me a very valuable lesson... I had to stop in a Subway to use their bathroom in the middle of the race! Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped at Subway on the WAY to the race today! And I ran with TP in my pocket just in case... But yeah I used to eat way too much the day before a race and then would never be hungry for breakfast and would feel crampy all morning and stuff. Finally I learned!

      Delete
  5. I hope your race went well! I do many of the same rituals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad looks weirdly delicious.

    I never shave my legs, but I DO like them shaved before a race!! And I use the bathroom a million times before, too!

    ReplyDelete