A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, November 12, 2015

How to Blog Every Damn Day

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This post is going to provide you with tips on how to blog every day! Obviously, blogging every day is not necessary, but it is doable, as long as it is something you enjoy doing and are willing to set aside the time to do it. Sometimes I think, “Why do I waste all this time blogging?” But is it really a waste of time f I enjoy writing and get pleasure from blogging every day?



Here are some ideas on how to blog every damn day!


Have one or two posts you do every week. For instance, Saturdays are always my workouts and Mondays are a review of my weekend. I don’t have to come up with content for those two days because I am simply reporting on what I was up to. Thus, I only have five days a week I have to come up with something original.

Think outside the box. Not every post has to be related to the main topic of your blog. If the only thing I allowed myself to write about was running, there is no way I’d be able to write every day! And as a blog reader, I know I like to hear about all different aspects of a blogger's life.

Remember, some “fluff” is okay. Not every post has to be filled with earth shattering news or information. I once wrote about how I think my cat is a sociopath. If that's not fluff, I don't know what is!

Participate in link ups! Link ups can be fun, and there are so many of them out there. I will list a couple that I can think of off the top of my head…


Have a couple “go to” posts that you can do more than once. I like to do Rants, A Day in My Life, Currently, 2 Truths and 1 Lie, and Randomy-Randomness. Feel free to steal any of my ideas for your own “go to” post because I am pretty sure they were not my original idea to begin with!

Set aside time to write. Hopefully this is a time when you actually feel like writing! I have a hard time writing when I don’t feel like it, so I have to take advantage of the writing urge when it comes. Most of my posts are written on the weekend while I sip my morning coffee. Then I just do quick updates and edits throughout the week.

Brainstorm on a run. When I know I have to write a bunch of blog posts, I try to think of ideas while I am on a run. I'll say to myself, "Self, you must come up with one good idea every mile." Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

Use good ol' Google when you are in a pinch! I have had to Google “blog writing prompts” or “running blog post ideas” more than once. Hey, we have all been there!

One of the downsides to blogging every day is that I spend all of my time blogging and zero time advertising and pimping my blog out to get more readers! Oh well! I enjoy writing so much that I would rather have it this way. Plus, I love my small but mighty audience. 
Any other blogging tips you would like to share?
What are your favorite types of posts to read?
Do you have any tips for advertising your blog that are free and don't take a lot of time (Haha, I know that is asking a lot!)

23 comments:

  1. Your blog is my favorite to read! It's such a perfect combination of running & fitness + real life funny stuff! Plus, I love all the comments. You have this great community of readers and we all comment every day. I kind of feel I have gotten to know the others based on the comments and I think that is pretty cool. Keep doing what you are doing, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my loyal commentors too! I look forward to chatting with yas all every day! :)

      Delete
  2. Love this! I try to get my usual posts out each week, my recaps and my music. Lately I've had more to say, so there have been some more posts coming from me. I love writing often but sometimes I struggle to stay up on reading everyone else's posts and responding to comments! But, it's a good struggle because we have a fun blog community with interesting people, and reading everyone's posts make my day. #firstworldproblems Love our blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I discovered your blog because I love the way you write and what you write about! :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! For me blogging will take up as much or as little time as I let it. Like you, I am rarely at a loss for ideas, however blogging every day is not my bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to know blogging can take up just as much time as you want. I feel that way even though I do blog each day. I spend just the amount of time I want to.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I'm so impressed by how long you've been blogging every day. There have been some days when I didn't see your post and I got so nervous that you accidentally forgot and ruined the streak you've spent years building. LOL.

    When I was doing my October blog streak, it was always so helpful when I had some go-to posts planned in advance and didn't have to worry about writing that day. But at the same time, some of my best days were the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants days where I just sat down to write with no idea in mind.

    And, cats ARE sociopaths. The only reason we all haven't been mauled and eaten by our cats is because they aren't big enough. Which, I try not to think about, because it's kind of a terrifying thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been nervous to forget a post as well!!! It is such a part of my routine at this point that I am sure I would realize at SOME point in the day and at least quick write something like, "WOAH I FORGOT TO POST SO THIS IS MY POST!" haha.

      I love having go to posts planned well in advance just like you enjoyed it during your blogging streak! In fact, I this this whole week was preplanned because I knew I had a lot going on. Sometimes I will move posts around if something more "current" comes to my head that I want to get out there. Like I could have easily shoved this post off for a little longer if I had something timely to say. I actually do have something timely to say but I am out of town for two days with no time to write!

      Delete
  5. Yah for the mighty readers! :) I could blog everyday I think because I have a lot of stuff rattling around in my mind, but I found I spend too much type writing, so I needed to cut back to 3 or 4 days (or 2!) a week. Mostly I need to keep notes of what I want to blog about because I keep forgetting ideas that I had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get naked, then paint your body with the name of your website and then go to a major sporting event, and drink beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know, we are rarely at a loss for ideas...lol. I know we can be pretty wordy sometimes!
    I do often wonder how you have time to blog everyday! It definitely is a lot of work!
    I love that you have such aa loyal audience! And i'm sure that there are even more who read but never comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still do not know how you blog everyday. Seriously, you NEVER miss a day. That is amazing. For me it's finding the time to sit down, without distraction, to write. Also, I definitely have to be in a writing mood.

    On a side note, what did you think about Survivor last night!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not watch yet we are out of town! I am soooo glad you didn't post a spoiler because I have been spoiler free on last night's ep so far and I just have to make it a few more hours until I can watch. :)

      Delete
  9. It is really incredible that you blog every single day. I try to blog 4-5 times per week. I used to blog every week day, but as my life has gotten busier that's been harder to keep up with. Plus, taking a few days off last week actually made me realize how much time I invest in blogging that I could use to be spending time with Adam. I always do all of my blogging at night in my little computer area while he is always in the living room in the evenings. I enjoyed spending more quality time on the couch with him last week... I know I could bring my laptop out but I don't think I would be paying attention to him / what we're talking about / what we're watching. I do love blogging through and could never give it up! I just need to find a better balance!

    In December I think I'm going to participate in "vlogmas" which is a little thing where you vlog every day leading up to Christmas. I want to see if vlogging is less time consuming! I think if I didn't spend time doing annotations and major edits I could put together a vlog-blog quicker than a regular blog post since I'm creating the content in spurts throughout the day instead of sitting down to write it all at once at night.... and I think I could do it without sacrificing quality. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOUR VLOGS so if you do vlog every day in December I would be so happy!!! :)

      Delete
  10. These are good tips! Once in awhile I lose all motivation/ideas to write a post...I should remember to google prompts to help get me back into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the prompts are dumb BUT they prompt you do think of something else entirely and it is a good idea.

      Delete
  11. Aw no! I have a couple draft posts that I have had hanging around for over a year. I think it may be time to delete those as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I need to also bookmark this like Karen. ;)

    I don't blog everyday but not because I'm waaaaay to busy or anything like that. I clearly have loads of extra time on my hands because I binge watch Netflix shows like nobody's business! I need to get my butt in gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if you ENJOY binge watching Netflix, don't stop!!!! Time you enjoy wasting is NOT a waste :) We have an EXHAUSTING, all consuming job and when we get home, we just need to VEG.

      Delete