A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I'm excited AND nervous for this weekend.

This Saturday, I am attending the Women's March on Washington to march in unity with thousands of other people from around the world. 

The Mission & Vision of the Women's March on Washington says it all: 


"We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families- recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country."

We are marching for these Unity Principles: Ending Violence, Reproductive Rights, LGBTQIA Rights, Worker's Rights, Civil Rights, Disability Rights, Immigrant Rights, and Environmental Justice.

You can read a more detailed breakdown of the Unity Principles here.

I am hoping this day is a positive experience for all involved. I am excited AND nervous for this weekend. First of all, I tend to get a little anxiety when doing something new... like marching in Washington, DC! Second, I'm scared of a violent attack of some sort! The march itself is advertised as a peaceful demonstration. It's not about rioting, civil disobedience, or disruption of any sort. The march has permits and there will be police officers there to protect and facilitate this demonstration. So I do not fear that march participants will get out of hand, but more of someone from the outside targeting us.


However, I realize we have to live our lives. There are crazy people everywhere. I am sure DC will have top notch security... especially since it is inauguration weekend.


After watching this video, produced by march officials, I felt a lot less worried about the event overall. Note: This video cuts off at the end, you can watch the full video on the Women's March on Washington Facebook page.



There has been some criticism of the march, and I was sure to read some articles that did criticize. (Hey, I like to know what everyone is saying!) One article I read was called Ladies, Protesting Isn't Going To Cut It. While I find the title of the article condescending, the article did point out that "protesting" is just part of a strategic plan of civic engagement.


Of course, demonstrating and protesting is just one aspect of the resistance. I am part of several Facebook groups of march participants and people are continually posting about their experiences contacting their elected officials and other calls to action. I hope all who attend the march are inspired to be more engaged!

Because really, there needs to be all kinds of people in this fight. If protesting is your thing, we need you. If you decide to run for office, we need you. If you are one to contact your representatives, we need you too. And we need everyone in between! There is a place for everything, and we all need to do what we are the most comfortable with.

So while I'm a little apprehensive about marching in Washington, I know I will never regret the principles I am marching for!



Are you marching? Attending a sister march?
Do you get apprehensive in large crowds?
What is an issue you care deeply about?

26 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you ladies for marching! I wanted to attend the march in Denver with my sister, but we had already had set plans for this weekend. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUMMER! Let me guess... it's either nephews or football. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so looking forward to hearing your recap of this event! You go, sistah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it is awesome and that I have an exciting (but not too exciting) recap to share with you!

      Delete
  3. It is so cool that you are going to this event! It's possible that this will come out the wrong way, but my degrees are in communication with an emphasis on political rhetoric and political movements. My capstone class in undergrad was a Civic Engagement class, and in grad school I focused on the ways entertainment TV shows --- aka not news/fact based shows (specifically Glenn Beck) -- persuade voters. A part of me is excited and geeking out that everything I studied is actually playing out in real time and I can see first hand how it unfolds. The other part of me is, of course, disgusted by the whole situation. This makes me want to go back to school and get my pH-D which is something I always said I would go back and do ... but school is too expensive and I don't think it would further my career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me this! Ugh. This is like exactly what you studied. People watched Fox News and got brainwashed because Hillary has A VAGINA.

      Delete
    2. ^ Omg ignore the way I capitalized PhD! I have a client that sells feminine products and I've been thinking about the words "pH balanced" a lot LOL!

      Delete
    3. Didn't even notice! Ever since I got a phone I realized auto correct is to blame for so much so no instant Grammer judgement here!

      Delete
  4. I love that you're doing this. I'm trying to think hard about your last question. Maybe my answer is a bit dumb, but for the most part, I'm pretty easy going and open-minded, but there is one thing that gets me pretty passionate and that is when parents do not vaccinate their kids, and when parents bring their sick kids into public. I nearly got into a fist fight over that one with my neighbor years ago when my oldest boys were toddlers. I was babysitting my niece (she was an infant at the time) and she has an older brother who is in a wheelchair (he has severe cerbral palsy) and my neighbor sent her daughter to our house with chicken pox without letting me know. I called her up and asked what the spots were and she casually replied with "oh, just chicken pox." My second son has a blood disorder and if he gets any communicable diseases, he needs blood transfusions, and my nephew certainly can't even itch his spots in his wheelchair if he were to get chickenpox. We had a HUGE yelling match, and we moved shortly after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think vaccinations/sick kids in public is dumb! I feel like vaccinations is an issue where people's stupid decisions AFFECT ALL OF US. Like, okay, if not vaccinating only affected your family, then okay. But when healthy people are NOT vaccinated then we don't have the herd and then the sick little kids who CAN'T be vaccinated are more likely to get diseases! Okay here I go explaining to you everything you already know. :) I just wish people would research people they decide to be so hippy dippy that they don't vaccinate their kids. I think the US had some cases of measles these past couple years. MEASLES!!!! We should NOT BE GETTING MEASLES!!!!

      Delete
  5. Stay safe! All my family in DC are out of town, or will be out of town by Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH man I don't blame them! I am sure if I lived in DC I would either leave OR just pretend I'm snowed in and not go ANYWHERE.

      Delete
  6. It will be a great weekend! just have a back up plan with your mom on what to do if anything happens, like where to meet if you get separated, where to meet if something bigger happens, who to call in case of emergency... Roger always tells me what to do in case of attacks and stuff... and I always ask "Can't I just run as fast as I can the other way?". Have a better plan than mine.

    I'm not marching, but I will be thinking of all of you going into this march. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also bring a small first aid kit, for falls or scratches, and Advil... or your favorite brand painkillers.

      And snacks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for those tips! Yeah, running as fast as I can sounds like a really good plan to me! But then of course, a meet up plan! I have Advil on my list!

      Delete
  7. My friend Cherry is going to this. I wish you all the best and hope you're all safe. I know things can get really dicey up there with security especially right now, so be vigilant in protecting each other, too. I can't wait to read about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Cherry is a really cool name! Thank you for the well wishes. Hopefully I will have an awesome experience to share with you!

      Delete
  8. Sending my support and love. Fight for us. For all womenkind. Because goodness knows the orange one who will not be named isn't going to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm marching in a sister march in Naples on Saturday. I'll be wearing a pussy hat my friend knitted me and I'm making a sign...I'm not sure what to put on it yet! I was thinking "Women's Rights are Human Rights" or "None of us are free until all of us are free" or "strong women = strong world" or something similar. I am very excited but if I were going to DC I'd be nervous, too. I'm so proud of how many women are coming together - and men, and people all across all spectrums - to show solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you and your sis are marching! My friend said she is knitting me a pussy hat so hopefully I have one too! I have never made a sign in my life... Prob won't do that. But I wish I was creative and/or had the gumption to do that. I don't have lessons after school tomorrow, maybe I could make one.... I like all of your ideas for sign slogans. My favorite is "None of us are free until all of us are free"

      Delete
  10. Thank you for standing up for our rights. I hope this goes as well and as peacefully as possible. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia!! Looking forward to a peaceful demonstration.

      Delete
  11. I am very supportive of police and troops as well! Oh and ever since Paul had his health issues and had to take ridesome in ambulances I have been more cognizant ogmf all they do. Basically Karen, the older I get the more I appreciate public servants, doctors, nurses, etc.

    I feel pretty free too but not everyone does. And what a privilege to feel this way! So I feel the need to stand up for people that need it. And our freaking planet! I feel like our rights are under attack and I'm not going to sit by and just watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope everything goes well at the march! I've seen several of my FB friends mentioning it too. Can't believe it's here already. This is going to be one crazy weekend no matter what! (ok, crazy next 4 years really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so scared for the next 4 years. If he would promise not to tweet about nuclear weapons, I'd feel a teeny bit better.

      Delete