A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, September 3, 2016

MGR's Workout Recaps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Minimal running and lots of lifting is what happened this week. I'm just kind of doing whatever I feel like right now.

Saturday-  I very much wanted to run, but I knew my upper body needed a BURN today. I went to Planet Fitness and lifted back. As much as I like to run on the weekends, sometimes it is better to get a back workout done instead. When I lift back, it takes me 75-90 minutes, so it's nice to do it on a day when I have a lot of time. When I do it during the week, I have to make sure I step foot in the gym at exactly 5:45 so I have enough time to git 'er done before work.

Unassisted Wide Grip Pull Ups- 1x4
Asst. Wide Grip Pull Ups- 4x8x16lb asst.
Asst. Close Grip Pull Us- 5x8x16lb asst.
Inverted Row- 5x10
Lat Pull Down- 5x10x70lb
Cable Row- 5x15x50lb
Bicep Curls- 5x10x15lb
Bicycle Crunches- 5x40
Capt. Chair- 6x20
Stability Ball Knee Tuck- 5x15
Glute exercises
Stretching calves and ITB.

I did 4 unassisted pull ups! I used to be able to do 7. That was two winters ago when I took some time off running and focused a lot on lifting. I will be honest, I wish I could still do 7, but considering I haven't been really working toward any lifting goals, this is still good news. I think if I can maintain 3-4 pull ups as my base and maybe accept that I will only be able to do more if I am in tip top lifting shape, I will be okay with that.

A lot of people ask me how to work up to doing a pull up, and I plan on writing about that soon!

Sunday- 5 miles. I had the slowest run ever. I was so sad and it made my whole body feel heavy. When I am angry, I run fast. When I am sad, I am slow.

Monday-  5 miler in my hood.

Tuesday-  5 miler in my hood.

Wednesday- I lifted chest at home before work while I watched Anderson Cooper. I realized I need to start doing 30lb chest press because I was easily able to do 5 sets of 15 reps @ 25lbs. I honestly should have increased my weight like months ago but I have been lazy!

Chest Press- 5x15 25lb
Push Ups- 5x10
Shoulder Press- 5x10x20lb
Tricep Dips- 6x15 (lost count and did an extra set!)
Bicycles- 5x40
Stability Ball Pull Ins- 5x15
Sit Ups- 5x15
Hip/Glute exercises

Thursday- I hot up super early and went to the gym to lift back before work. My gym got a bunch of new machines to replace the "old" ones. They didn't look old to me so I'm not sure why they had to switch them. I am bummed because the new assisted pull up machine is a lot different than the old one. With the old one, I feel like it gave you equal assistance the whole way up. With the new one, it is like it stops helping you the last 1/3 of the way. I know it will force me to get stronger, so at least that is good...

Wide Grip Asst. Pull Ups- 3x4x12lb asst, 2x6x16lb asst.
Neutral Grip Asst. Pull Ups- 5x6x16lb asst.
Inverted Row- 5x10
Lat Pull Down- 5x10x85lb
Cable Row- 5x10x55lb
Bicep Curls- 5x10x15lb
Bicycles- 5x40
Plank w/ Knee Tuck- 5x20
Stability Ball Pull Ins- 5x15
Capt Chair- 5x20
Hip/Glute Exercises + Stretching

Friday- 5 miler in my hood. It was a little brisk out! I mean, brisk by September standards!

How were your workouts this week?

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good week of lifting and honestly, you got a lot of miles in on the other days. It's not like you just sat around or something- lifting takes a LOT out of you and is a great workout too even if you don't have a high number to show for mileage. I go to Planet Fitness too and it's a nice gym... it's super clean there :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planet Fitness is awesome!! I love it there. I love to lift, too. I'm glad I learned how to do it correctly. Best fitness decision I ever made.

      Delete
  2. Way to go on kicking butt!!

    Why were you sad on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 miles plus all that lifting sounds pretty perfect to me! I ended up power walking w/ Macy 2 days because I had gotten greedy last week with picking up running after my ankle was cranky. Also 2 cycling + 1 swimming and today running again (YAY). I ended up w/ 4 lifting sessions too. Can't complain about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you did a lot!! I think you are the epitome over overall fitness and health. I think when you are 80 you will prob still be doing what you do now!

      Delete
    2. ...and I think YOU do a lot. My workouts are not long but they are varied, yes. I like that after years of being "just a runner". Tomorrow is my rest--that is a very important part of my training, too!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you had a sad day and felt slow. I'm definitely the same way. When I'm angry I pound the pavement hard but on sad days it's hard to muster up strength to do anything more than slow and easy. I hope whatever made you sad went away quickly and the kitties cheered you up.

    I lifted a lot this week too. It was nice to reduce my mileage and lift more days than I have been the last few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am excited you are back in the gym!!! I hope you are less stressed knowing you are running Miami. And obviously I know you are feeling swole!

      Delete
  5. It is understandable with your 10 hour days!!

    ReplyDelete