A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, October 25, 2014

My Post Race Workouts




You know that feeling when you run a really great race, you feel invincible, and have convinced yourself you are THE BEST RUNNER IN THE WORLD? You're ready to keep training and want to bust out a bunch of awesome workouts?...




...Then you wake up the next morning and realize... ugh, I'm an old lady, I need a day... two days... maybe even a week to recover!

Yah, that was me this week! Busting my ass at the 10k apparently means I need to take it easy for a few days, whether I want to or not.

I did manage to get in some training, but most of it was at a very easy intensity level. The thing is, it's great to push yourself and break your body down, but then you have to give your body time to build itself back up!



-Sunday-

RACE! (10k)


-Monday-

REST
I was exhausted and on the brink of sickness.
Plus, duh, rest after a race, Megan!


-Tuesday-

Easy-ish 5 miler @ 7:51 pace
The pace felt easy, but I did push it a little at the end.


-Wednesday-

Lift- chest/shoulders/legs
I hadn't done lower body in almost a week and a half 
so my glutes were SO SORE by lunch time!


-Thursday-

Very easy 5 miler @ 8:40 pace
Glutes were still really sore. I did not feel like running fast at all.'
Heck, I barely even felt like running!


-Friday-

Lift- back
Again, my glutes were still screaming from Wednesday. 
It was the damn kettlebell swings- only 15lbs! 
That's all it took to wreck me for 3 days, apparently!


-Saturday-

The plan for today is to run 10 gorgeous miles 
at an easy pace and feel PERFECT throughout. 
Haha. we'll see how that goes!


I hope my run feels great today and my body starts to feel strong again. If not, I will just have to be patient- slow and steady!
How long does it take you to recover from a race?
Do kettlebell swings annihilate you the way they annihilate me?

8 comments:

  1. I always feel like that after a good race...lol. "I'm the best runner in the world!" LOL. Then I always tell Matt "I suck" when I go for my first run post race. I've been at the gym more times this week than I have in the past month doing lifting so I am super sore, especially my chest. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I bet you are getting ripped! :) I felt a little weak at the gym this week. I tried though!

      Delete
  2. You deserved the extra rest days, you annihilated that race!!!!

    You are the best running in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already feeling a little better, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love post-race relaxing...but it's pretty sad how many days I need after a hard effort sometimes! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we're not getting any younger! You know what it I just realized though? When I was younger (Say 24-27ish) I would be more SORE after a race. Lots of muscle soreness, couldn't sit down, etc. Now, I'm not so much sore, as much as just spent energy wise.

      Delete