A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

"Bless you" & Seinfeld

This past weekend I spent a lot of time with my family. While Paul and I were chatting with our cousin Eden, she sneezed about 5 times in the span of two minutes. Neither Paul or I said "Bless you." 

It felt so awkward not to say "Bless you!" Finally, my dad walked past us, heard Eden sneeze, and said "Bless you." "Thank you!" she said. I was relieved. Someone finally said it! 

It was time to explain to Eden that Paul decided to try not to say "Bless you" for a little while. The reason? It seems like a very old tradition that doesn't make sense. 

During the plague, people said "Bless you" because it was a surefire way to know that someone was very sick. But nowadays, people sneeze for lots of benign reasons... allergies, common cold, smells, seeing sunlight... Another reason people said the phrase because they felt like if someone sneezed and had their mouths open, demons could fly in. Now, I don't believe in demons, and even if I did, I don't think they're going to fly into someone's mouth while they sneeze.

Eden laughed and thought it was funny that we decided not to say the phrase. "The real test is if I'm in an elevator with a little old lady and she sneezes," Paul said. "I don't think I'll be able to not say it if that happens!"

The more I think about it, the more I think it is silly to phase out "Bless you." I mean, it's a nice thing to say, so why not say it? Just like "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays". We say nice things to people because we want to be nice and spread cheer! 

It sounds like a Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm episode, doesn't it? I can picture Larry David deciding he no longer is going to say "Bless you". People get offended. Things are awkward. Comedy ensues.

It turns out it sort of was a Seinfeld episode. Jerry suggested there should be an alternative to saying "Bless you" after someone sneezes, and instead he starts saying, "You're so good looking."

Then we found out that Eden and her boyfriend never saw Seinfeld! But they have seen Curb and they like that show. I told them they have to watch Seinfeld and it doesn't matter that the how is old. The humor in it is timeless! I'm so jealous they never saw Seinfeld. Now they have like nine seasons of an awesome television show they can watch!
Try not saying "Bless you" the next time someone sneezes... it will feel REALLY weird. It's hard not to say it!

Is there any outdated tradition we still do that you think should be phased out? (I'm NOT saying "Bless you" should be phased out.)

Would you be mad if someone didn't say "Bless you" when you sneezed?

Do you think young adults would think Seinfeld is funny even though it is now and older show?

15 comments:

  1. First off, I can't believe Eden is old enough to have a boy friend. Have I been reading your blog that long...lol.

    I get where you are coming from with the Bless You but I guess it's just one of those things we do for the sake of others just to be nice like you say. It really has no bearing on our own feelings. Just a common courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a common courtesy and it's so ingrained that it feels rude not to say it! I even have said it to my cats. :)

      Oh yes, Eden is all grown up!

      Delete
  2. Here I go again with my whole "I didn't grow up speaking english" rant... In Mexico we say "salud" when somebody sneezes, with literally translates to "health" but I feel it's like saying "good health to you".

    One thing that bothers me is when people say "heads up!" when something is flying towards you... why heads up? why not "head down", as in put your head down or that is going to hit you! There is a few more phrases that I don't get, but can't remember any right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was reading an article about bless you, it said almost every culture has something they say after a sneeze and a lot of them mean something like health or good health.

      Omg yeah, and better yet, how about "cover your head and run!" instead of heads up? haha.

      Delete
  3. I like the German Gesundheit. It wishes good health for someone who just sneezed. It's also fun to say :) It makes more sense to wish good health, since you said there are so many reasons people sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like what Ana is used to saying in Mexico. German words are so fun to say. When I was in college, I had to take a German diction class because I was a vocal major. I loved singing German art songs. They were my favorite kind because the language is so fun. Technically not the most "beautiful" language to sing in but I liked it the best.

      Delete
  4. I will always say bless you! I can't help it...I like to acknowledge that someone sneezed :) but if Rick sneezes a bunch in a row (but they are spaced apart by like 20 or 30 seconds) I eventually just say "I bless all future sneezes" so I can go on with my life! You know how I feel about Seinfeld. Best.Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at your "I bless all future sneezes"! Paul started saying "I love you!" to me when I sneeze. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if there is anything similar! I never realized how ingrained it was until I tried to stop saying it. I felt like such an ASSHOLE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the German word "Gesundheit" when someone sneezes and my co-workers have adopted it (mainly because none of us is religious and it seems silly to say "Bless you".)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I said Gesundheit at school if the kids would know what I meant? I may try it!

      Delete
  7. I remember hearing that Bless You started because people thought sneezing meant your soul was leaving your body? I've also read that your heart stops when you sneeze, so it's supposed to spiritually counteract that? I wish there were a more non-religiousy way to respond to sneezes, since it seems to be an international cultural thing to say SOMETHING...I just want to find something more secular. Maybe "excuse you" hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well it sounds like Ana and San say basically "good health". That works! So Salude or Gesundheit.

      Delete