A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Monday, January 19, 2015

"Weekly" Workout Re-Cap

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



I DID NOT RUN THIS WEEK!
Don't worry, that was one of my goals.
But that doesn't mean I was sleeping in and being lazy...


1/12- My main workout was lifting chest and shoulders. I also did some glute activation exercises (think clam shells, glute bridges, etc.) and 15 minutes of mobility work. Then I did the squat test, which is one of the standards in Ready to Run. I basically had to do 1 tabata round of deep squats with perfect form. It was difficult, but I did it! This whole workout was going to be done at the gym, but school was closed due to icy road conditions, so I stayed home and watched the Today Show while I worked out. It was all Golden Globe coverage. Man, those actresses are gorgeous!

1/13- I went to Planet Fitness to lift back. I also incorporated some glute activation exercises and mobility work into my workout. Oh, and I warmed up with a 1 mile walk on the treadmill. I have been walking a lot these days...

1/14- I warmed up with a 2 mile walk outside. (Walking in 20 degrees is way better than walking on a treadmill.) Then I did some glute activation exercises, mobility work, core, some push ups, and some pull ups. I finished off with one of the jumping/landing tests in Ready to Run. Kelly wants to you be able to do 30 jump rope rotations on 1 foot. My right leg was awesome- no problems at all. It took me several tries to meet the standard with my left leg. On my first try I only did 3 rotations. After some warming up, I was able to get to 30 rotations... BUT my left leg felt so weak. I need to get my left knee strong again!




1/15- I walked 2 miles outside again! It was a lot warmer today. For some reason, when I walk, the earbuds on my mp3 player shock me. I don't get shocked when I run. What the heck am I wearing when I walk that gives me so much static electricity? (I guess that is what is causing it!?) I worked out in my living room lifting chest and shoulders. I did some core, glute activation exercises, and mobility work. My muscles were tired when I was done but boy am I craving some CARDIO!



1/16- I walked 3 miles and did some glute activation exercises and mobility work. I was going to lift back but figured it would be more fun to do it tomorrow (Saturday!) when I have a lot of free time to spend at the gym.





1/17- Another 3 mile walk, and then a LONG gym session. It was nice to be able to take my time at the gym!


(My first mile was on the treadmill so no picture. I did the last 2 miles in my neighborhood.)



This is the couch stretch. (Scroll down to the second pic- the "good" pic with the girl in the booty shorts!

I will write more about these two things soon, as they are recommended by the book Ready to Run and I have been doing them daily!

Do you think it's silly I'm including Garmin pics of my walks?
What's the longest you ever went without doing cardio?

18 comments:

  1. I don't think it's silly, I think you walk really fast! Have you heard of race walking? I watched a video on YouTube of it the other day... really weird!

    Thanks for sharing your workout graphic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I DO walk really fast! I walk fast all the time, not just when I am working out. I definitely get it from my mom. There is a blind student at our school and someone needs to walk with her. She walks really slow and her teachers are trying to get her to walk faster, so they say, "Let's walk like Mrs. Cooney!" (that's me- even though I never changed my last name legally the kids at school call me by Paul's last name.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm I think I went a couple of YEARS without doing cardio at one point. One week isn't so bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is 2 weeks. Surviving so far... Can't give up now!

      Delete
  3. About the Garmin pics, you know unless you show proof it didn't really happen..lol. Isn't that how things work on the internet? Just kidding of course! I know I need to put my focus on strengthening for a while! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking Garmin pics also sort of tricks me into thinking I am doing more than I am!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see your sticking to the plan. It's totally acceptable that your including garmin shots from your walks. I've gone a full week without any running what so ever. It was crazy because a part of me actually thought I was done running lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for my first run back... I will be flying!

      Delete
  5. You're doing such a great job following the recommendations from the book! I have definitely incorporated some things but need to get better about doing them consistently. I really like using the "voodoo" floss to help open up my hips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have been flossing my knee. Feels so weird....

      Delete
  6. I don't feel the same endorphins from lifting BUT l definitely feel like a got a good workout in. Usually, I am hungrier on a lifting day, so I KNOW I worked hard. But I don't get the same high as I do running! I just enjoy the fresh air aspect of running too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it all week without running - hard to do!!
    Yes, I crave cardio when I'm not getting it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lot of will power sticking to just walking. I HATE walking. I feel like it takes forever and ever to get anywhere. I tell people this all of the time. And I am not a slow walker. I'm actually too fast for almost everyone when I go walking. I guess my body just naturally wants to run everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take forever. It's more fun with a pal to chat with, that is for sure. When I walk with my friend Bree, we'll walk 4-5 miles and it will seem like we were only out for a half hour!

      Delete
  9. I don't think the Garmin pictures of walks are silly at all. In fact, I used to do it all the time! I still do on occasion. I LOVE walking. I take my dogs walking whenever I can. I find it one of the most therapeutic activities around.
    I took a few solid months off from cardio with my horrific ankle infection last year (and several months off of running). When I started back, I was only able to do stationary biking, nothing that caused flexion of my ankle. It was definitely no the same as running. I actually started with arm cycling before my leg was ready because I NEEDED some endorphin rush!
    I think your week of workouts looks fantastic-you will be back to running strong in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to walk some dogs! I can see how that would be wonderfully therapeutic. I am starting to enjoy my walks. I mean, I would rather run, and running takes less time, but I will enjoy incorporating a walking warm up and col down when I am back to running. :)

      Delete
  10. Great week! I wonder if you get shocked more when you are walking because your feet build up more static, touching the ground more than when you run?

    I went a month without cardio when I had stress fractures! I should have been more active, like you. I was just laaaaaaazy. And include those pics if you want! ;) They bother me less in a post than people posting them on FB all the dang time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ignore the comment I just left on your newer post!!!! I now see the link for voodoo floss!

    ReplyDelete