A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"Weekly" Workout Re-Cap

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Well, I'm officially OFF. My first week was right on point. My second week got all mixed up due to holidays and doing what I felt like instead of what I was supposed to do.

This week was all about trying to survive and trying to get back on a schedule. I am not very happy with myself. I could only go one week sticking to my plan. I need to do better...

(Also, I don't always list my sets/reps/weights in my lifting workouts. I don't even always list the exercises in the exact order I do them. It is very time consuming to do that! I will try to do it more often, though.)


12/28- Easy 5 miler and a short chest/shoulders session.




12/29- Easy 5 miler. I was supposed to do a tempo run, but since I only got 3.5 hours of sleep the night before, and I *sort of* did a tempo run on Christmas, I decided it would be better to take it easy.

12/30- Lifting- Back. I woke up with a very sudden pain in my lower hammy. I was due to lift, so I hightailed it to Planet Fitness to work my back. Luckily I did not encounter anyone trying to give me unsolicited advice. But I did lose my wedding ring. :(



12/31- Lifting- Chest/Shoulders. My hamstring felt almost completely back to normal (wtf!?) but I wanted to baby it one more day. I did this epic workout at home. It took forever!



1/1- 8 miles. After two days off from running (due to the hamstring issue), I couldn't wait to run today! It was freezing cold and I had to get up "butt early" to get it done, but I didn't care.



1/2- 5 miles. I was supposed to do some speed but I didn't sleep the night before, so I decided to push it off until tomorrow.




1/3- Carport HIIT(ish) workout. I woke up to hail and freezing rain. No speed or running today! Instead I did an "interesting" (to say the least) Deck of Cards workout. I was so tired after this (it took me an hour) that less than halfway through I really wished I just could have done my speed workout!

Warm Up: Alternating 20 air squats with 
100 jump rope rotations for 10 minutes

Deck of Cards Workout #1:

Hearts- burpees
Diamonds- bicycle crunches
Clubs- push ups
Spades- donkey/fire hydrant kicks
Jokers- 45 second plank


Deck of Cards Workout #2:

Hearts- 50 jump rope rotations
Diamonds- sit ups
Clubs- mountain climbers
Spades- squat kicks
Jokers- 45 second plank



1/4- Shitty 5 miler. That says it all. Not a good run. Slow, sore, tired.

1/5- Magical 5 Miler. I was not supposed to run today, but I had "going back to school" anxiety that I wanted cured with a run. I call this 5 miler magical because even though I was kind of slow, it was enjoyable and snowed sporadically throughout. I also warmed up by walking for 5 minutes and cooled down by walking for 5 minutes... this is going to be a new thing for me! (More on that later!)

1/6- Back. This was my first back workout at home, thanks to my new pull up bar! I need to get 20lb weights. 15lbs just doesn't cut it for me anymore for bicep curls! (I know they are just "show" muscles, but I like to throw in a couple sets of curls at the end of my workout if I have time.)



Please give me some encouragement to get back on track, listen to my body, and not just do what I "feel" like doing. I need some sense talked into me!

13 comments:

  1. I am always impressed by your lifting. I wish I had some of the motivation to get that done. I think having a "planned" workout is key. If I have something written out ahead of time, it usually gets done. That for me was one of the best things about marathon training. I had a definitive plan!
    This first week back is rough! Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! I will tell you what motivates me is feeling stronger, and of course seeing results really helps too. I am at the point where I don't see results weekly or anything like that, but every month or two, I will notice some sort of strength gain and it is just motivation to push on!

      Delete
  2. I think your workouts look great! I'm glad your leg is feeling better and it only hurt for a couple of days. I need to try a deck of cards workout, I'm going to do one tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I hope you like it! It is short and sweet but makes you sweat.

      Delete
  3. The first if the year had thrown us all if, you will get back on track in no time. You keep so much info for your workouts, it's kinda scary lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only because I am doing this re-cap- we will see how long it lasts! Also I was on Christmas break so I had all the time in the world to use picmonkey!

      Delete
  4. Welllll I am not the person to talk sense into you. I feel like sometimes when we can't get motivated for a specific routine it's our body's way of saying it is craving a change either mentally or physically. Since you're not training for anything specific right now I say just go with the flow for another couple of days!

    (I don't think I have a future in the Motivational Coaching field.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I like your motivation though! ;) And there is something to that. I am actually about to scrap most of my goals and change them completely, which means my workouts will be different.

      Delete
  5. I haven't lifted in two days and I am feeling flabby. I really need to back off the running and really focus on lifting. I feel like I go back and forth. Last week and the week of Christmas, I was going hard with the weights. I need a goal. I feel lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the feeling flabby thing! I generally do: chest, back, rest, rest, and then by the time I had two days off from lifting I feel ready to go again! Legs... still being careful. So they feel REALLY flabby.

      Delete
  6. Wait...did you lose your ring again? I'm so confused!

    Even though you don't think you stuck to your goal, this is a super impressive week! There's always next week to do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the confusion! I should have been clear and mentioned that I ended up finding my ring. So I only lost it once!

      Delete
  7. It’s always great to see people who never give up in achieving their goals. Keep it up and for sure, you’ll achieve your target results in no time. And don’t forget to be careful while working out, to avoid overexerting and hurting yourself. Good luck!

    Marc Chambers @ 34-North

    ReplyDelete