A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My First Run Back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


On Sunday, I went for my first run in two weeks!

Here are more details than you probably ever wanted to know about it...

It was 38 degrees. Not bad! This is what I wore...




Before I left, I did the couch stretch for a total of 4 minutes on each side. Then I warmed up with a quarter mile walk.

I ran my "normal" neighborhood 5 mile route. I started off quite fast- I blame it on fresh legs. I reined it in and ran at what felt as a comfortable pace for the remaining miles.

During my run, I felt some mild "weirdness", but nothing crazy. No pulsating knees or IT band tightness. But it didn't feel perfect. I could tell I hadn't run in 2 weeks, that is for sure!

I cooled down with another quarter mile walk and 4 more minutes of the couch stretch.

This was what my Garmin said when I was done... quite normal for me. Glad to see I didn't lose any fitness!




And this is the good news.... MY KNEE AND IT BAND DID NOT HURT AT ALL DURING THE REST OF THE DAY!!!!

It's good news, but it is also perplexing. During my time off from running, my leg felt all twerked up from walking and using the voodoo floss band. But I didn't voodoo today. Maybe that is why my knee wasn't pulsating?

As for the IT band... maybe the mobility work I have been doing is helping?

It seems to good to be true. Don't worry. I fully anticipate my left leg hurting tomorrow. I am not deluding myself. Today is probably a fluke....

You can call my a pessimist but I call myself a realist! How the heck has my leg been bothering me during all this time off while I was walking, doing mobility work, using the voodoo floss, etc....

Dang, I can't wait to talk to my chiro!!!

18 comments:

  1. And we can't wait to hear what your chiro says!! Good luck, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll think good thoughts that it won't be hurting tomorrow. I know how this process must be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! I hope it continues to feel good! Are you going to wait a few days for the next run or after you talk to your chiro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends what chiro says... and if I want to push my luck!

      Delete
  4. WHOO! Glad to hear everything felt okay. I hope it's not a fluke! Good luck at the chiro today. I will cross my fingers that you hear very good news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you have not had any pain during your run. Maybe that time off really did help. I should take some time off as well so my IT band can fully recover. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend reading the book Ready to Run. If you a runner who ends up running through chronic pain, this is the book for you!

      Delete
  6. " If only we knew what we really needed to feel all the way better. " <----- THIS EXACTLY. You are right. I would do whatever it takes. I just wish I knew exactly what. Instead I spend a 1/2 hour a day doing the stretching/strengthening crap shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hope that your leg doesn't start hurting again - I'm so excited that you ran and didn't have knee issues!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoo hoo! An 8:13 pace after 2 weeks off, you are such a badass!

    Good luck at the chiro, will be crossing my fingers for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest does me well! I have determined that over the past couple years! :)

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you are back at it. That is an impressive pace for taking two weeks off. Nice work, lady! I always find that running and walking use different muscles. I can run daily, but if I were to go on a long walk it would probably make me sore. Crazy! I hope you knee and IT continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I am going to do shorter walks from now on. 5 miles is a lot to walk!

      Delete
  10. WOOHOO!! I know this comment is SUPER late but I'm sooo happy your run was awesome and you were pain-free after!!

    ReplyDelete