A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Randomy Randomness



It's been awhile... and I enjoy posts about random things... 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


1. My 24 Hour Hamstring Saga

In the early morning hours of Tuesday, I awoke to a strange pain on the back of my leg. I thought it was just a dream. But on Tuesday morning when I stepped out of bed, I could tell it wasn't a dream, and the pain was real! The back of my knee (not below the kneecap, but the actual back of my knee) and the lower part of my hamstring was very sore. This was a huge (and unpleasant) surprise to me, as I have never, ever had pain there before and it popped up so suddenly in the middle of the night.

The only thing I thought to blame it on was my trip to the chiropractor the day before. But I didn't remember him messing around back there.

I didn't do anything with my lower body that day and hoped the pain would magically disappear by the next morning- much like it magically appeared in the first place.

What do ya know? The next morning, the hamstring pain was 90% gone. Not sure I would even have noticed the lingering pain left if I wasn't looking for it.

And that, my friends, was my 24 Hour Hamstring Saga....




2. I Don't Want To Do Anything On Vacation

Being a teacher, I have a whole 12 days off for Christmas! Yes, it is glorious, and I have no problem just BASKING in the fact that I don't have a whole lot to do.

During the school year I am swamped every day... running, lifting, teaching, piano lessons, personal training, grocery shopping, taking care of the house... I am like a machine.

But during my break? I don't want to do anything. The other day, my to do list said: Load the dishwasher. I didn't even want to do that! It seemed like way too much work. Today, I'm supposed to clean the house and put away Christmas decorations. UGH! So depressing.




3. Chrissy (apparently) Needs His Teeth Cleaned

Friends with kitties... have you ever needed to get their teeth cleaned? Chrissy went for his annual checkup about two months ago and the vet said he has gingivitis- an inflammation of the gums. His gums are in fact pink, and the more I researched, the more afraid I got. Apparently, gingivitis is the only reversible part of gum disease in cats. Meaning, if he gets he teeth cleaned, it will go away. If he doesn't get his teeth cleaned, it could lead to infection and tooth decay.

They quoted us a price of $500-$600, which I have determined is a very reasonable price, considering the procedure requires Christmas to be put to sleep. I am not worried about the money aspect... I am worried about putting Christmas through all of that. And then what if I put him through all of that stress, and the inflammation comes back? (Which is possible. Getting the teeth cleaned doesn't mean he won't eventually get gingivitis again.)

It's such a big decision! He could live years and years with this and never have any other mouth problems... Or we could get his teeth cleaned and something bad could happen...

Look at them chompers!
And the redness!!!



4. Time to get JACKED

Paul hung my pull up bar! I am ready to get JACKED! I want to improve the amount of unassisted pull ups I can do and I think having a bar at home will help me do that! However, I recently saw some strength gains, so I am not sure how soon I will be seeing them again...




5. I Lost My Wedding Ring at Planet Fitness... and by the time I published this post on Sunday, I found it in a running glove.

On Monday, toward the end of my workout, I noticed my wedding ring was missing. This was very surprising as it has never fallen off at the gym. It falls off at home when my fingers get cold, but at the gym, my fingers puff up. How could this happen? I am really sad about it, and regret wearing it to workout in the first place. I never, ever take it off. Now I feel naked without it.

This isn't the first time I lost my wedding ring. Several years ago, I lost my first ring while I was running errands. It is either in the Giant salad bar or it fell of in the trash can while I was throwing something away.

My ring was just a plain white gold band. Nothing fancy, but of course it has extreme sentimental value. (Please don't think I am paying thousands of dollars to replace my wedding rings... This ring costs about as much as a new pair of running shoes at regular price.) I am going to wait awhile to see if anyone at Planet Fitness finds it before I replace it.

UPDATE: I am glad I waited!!!! On Saturday morning, I put on one of my pink running gloves and gosh darn it, there was my ring! I'm so happy!!!!!

My ring!

Have you ever needed your fur baby's teeth cleaned? Advice on that one?

What's the weirdest pain you ever had that magically appeared and disappeared within 24 hours?

Ever lose your wedding ring?

20 comments:

  1. I love your pull up picture in your PJs! It's always so scary to put our fur babies to sleep at the vet. :( I've never had to get Lola's teeth cleaned, plus she's a dog so I'm not sure what the similarities are and what not. When I got her spayed they took out a few of her baby teeth though. She recovered fine. I also LOVE doing nothing on break!!! I'm back to work tomorrow. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :( I know I won't sleep tonight because I'll be stressed about it!

      Delete
  2. So happy you found your ring!!! :) And got your pull up bar up! I want to work on my pull up game this year, too :)

    We have had our cat's teeth cleaned 3x (every other year). We tried brushing them (ha.... ha ha haha) and that didn't work, and the plaque and gunk just builds up, so we get them cleaned every now and then to try to keep him healthy and from losing any teeth. And his breath smells actually decent, after. I do get worried about him going under, of course. He's my baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first person I have heard who have cleaned their CAT'S teeth, thank you for that info!

      Delete
  3. So glad you found your wedding ring!
    My dogs need to have their teeth cleaned, but the vet said we could try some teeth cleaning additive to their water and see if that works first--(it is cheaper). We are supposed to brush their teeth--I don't see how that is supposed to happen. It never ends well...
    I like your pull-up bar outfit. Looks like many of my yoga outfits. Glamor girls we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thanks, those are my pjs! (or, parts of different pj outfits....)

      Yeah my cat would never let us brush his teeth. I just know that will never happen, and having his teeth cleaned ONCE would be super stressful, but arguably less stressful than us trying to brush his teeth everyday. Maybe that is the lens I should look at this through!?

      Delete
  4. Glad you found your ring! I've gotten Pepe's teeth cleaned in the past, but it was a long time ago and haven't done it since. Aside from his constant puke problem, he is pretty healthy and I don't have it in my budget to spend $500 on a teeth cleaning. So I'm just hoping for the best! His breath smells ok, so I take that as a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nice breathe is a good sign! Christmas's breath smells like... wet food. Ugh. The price won't be bad if we have to do it like once or twice in his life time. I would just hate to spend the money and then 3 months later be back where we are. I guess I need some more information from the vet...

      Delete
  5. They make chewies for dogs to help keep their teeth clean. Is there something similar for cats? I'd get the cleaning done and then look for preventative measures to begin after the cleaning.

    I get random night pains like that too sometimes. It's usually a cramp or charley horse that's so bad it's still sore the next day. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owww. Charlie horses hurt. I haven't had one in awhile but I learned the only thing to make them go away was to get up and walk on it. But then you're wide awake...

      I think you can clean cat's teeth, which is likely what they will tell us to do, but I know for a fact Christmas is NEVER going to let that happen.

      Delete
  6. I'm really glad you found your ring! My dad lost his in the ocean in Hawaii one year. Yeah, he definitely had to get a new one.

    I totally understand not wanting to do ANYTHING. The first week off is always so insane with my birthday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas all in a row. So this year, when the second week rolled around, I made it a goal not to get into real people clothes as much as humanly possible. I think I made it. Last night was our monthly Art's Alive night which is a fun gathering in downtown. My best friend (also a teacher) and I decided to stay in and watch trashy television instead. I didn't even have the energy to knit. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real people clothes!? What are they!? hehe. I intend to watch some trashy TV tonight while Paul and his pals are watching football.

      Delete
  7. I would have a total freak-out if I lost my wedding ring:) Chris lost his in Hawaii once (a "work" trip) but at least it wasn't expensive to replace.
    I don't know much about pets but one of my neighbors has 3 small dogs and we walk together some - she said that after paying to have their teeth cleaned once she decided to learn to do it herself and it has worked so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know several people who have lost their's in the ocean!

      Delete
  8. That hamstring saga is SO weird! But I'm glad it was just a one-day thing. I threw my wedding ring away at work once (dried my hands and it came off in the paper towel). Luckily, I realized it within a couple of minutes and found it in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the paper towel thing has happened to me at work too! My hands get cold at work and my ring sometimes falls off in my classroom but I notice it.

      Delete
  9. We had one cat that started losing teeth because of gum disease and then had to have surgery to have teeth removed. It can cause other serious health issues and with her degree of redness I would probably go ahead and get them cleaned. I never had them cleaned prior to that and did not put him through it another time as he ended up with cancer (unrelated). Never cleaned my other cats teeth ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that info! I think I am going to make Paul sked it and not tell me when it is so I don't have to worry. :)

      Delete
  10. There were certainly a lot of things that happened to you during the holiday season. And I’m glad that despite some setbacks, like losing your ring and some back pain, you still had a wonderful vacation. And with regard to your cat, what option did you take? I hope you chose the first one, because if an infection begins, it can spread out to your cat’s lungs and bones. It's a small price to pay for keeping your beloved pet. Take care!

    Elvira Mullins @ Nelson Vets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he has an appointment next week! I realized that even though I am nervous for him to undergo the anesthesia, if/when the gingivitis got worse, he would prob need procedures anyway! Plus, he promised us he would live forever, so the least we can do is make sure he has clean, healthy gums. ;)

      Delete