A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, October 4, 2013

DOMS & an update on my knee!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'm sore. Marathon sore. And not "La-la-la-la-la" marathon sore... "PUSH YOURSELF!!!" marathon sore.

The reason for this soreness? I am experiencing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). 



What is DOMS?


DOMS occurs when you experience muscle pain, soreness, or stiffness within one or two days after exercise. It usually occurs after adopting a new exercise program, increasing intensity of exercise, or increasing duration. It could even occur from simply attempting a new exercise. (Hmmmm maybe that's why my back hurts after trying Zumba for the first time in months!?)

DOMS is thought to occur due to microscopic tears in muscle fibers. Gross. But that's how you build muscle! You break it down, then it builds up even stronger!




Why the heck am I experiencing DOMS?


Well, I have not lifted lower body since Monday, September 16th, and on Wednesday October 2nd, I did a full body workout. I didn't even lift heavy on my lower body- I couldn't! It was feeling weak. But I lifted and my muscles weren't used to it.

Right now, my glutes and my quads are screaming at me!

This was what happened lower body-wise on Wednesday. As you can see, it's nothing special.


I did 3 sets for all exercises...


Smith Squats- 12 reps/40lbs

Leg Extension- 15 reps/65lbs

Hamstring Curl- 15 reps/55lbs (could barely get through this)

Backwards Lunges w/ DBs- 10 reps/30lbs


This is not epic by any means of the imagination. Wednesday night I was already a little sore, but Thursday afternoon is when it really sank in. Sitting down and standing up is hard. Ow!!

I usually lift on Fridays, but I'm going to switch it to Saturday this week, as I think my lower body needs some TLC before I hit the gym again!


A Quick Knee Update...


Well, my knee is feeling the best it has in two months! It is definitely not perfect, but I am feeling very optimistic with the effectiveness of my knee brace and prescription topical anti inflammatory creme I apply to my leg 4xs a day.

I haven't run on it yet, but I did two 45 minute spin workouts (one was even a Tabatas!), a full body strength training workout, and a circuit which involved 100 squats, 100 mountain climbers, and 100 burpees. I may not be running on it, but I'm definitely not taking it "easy". 

And it feels GREAT! I mean, right now I am sitting on the couch and it doesn't hurt at all!

The most annoying thing was trying to explain to 9 classes of students yesterday what "happened to my leg". I wish I had some exciting story to tell them, but unfortunately I have to give them the boring truth


Have you ever experienced DOMS?

No comments:

Post a Comment