A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cheap exercise equipment you can use to kick your own ass!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... You do NOT need to spend a ton of money on a gym membership to get an awesome workout. You also do not need to buy a ton of expensive equipment. Below, I have a list of items you will probably be able to get for less than $20 (depending where you purchase them... ie. Don't go to Dick's!!) that you can use to get a KILLER workout. Some of the items on my list are free!

Obviously, there are a TON of body weight exercises you can do in which you do not need any equipment at all, but this post is going to deal with the equipment aspect of things. Because let's be honest, "things" are fun!


1. Jump Rope      <$10      

Jumping rope is no joke. It can increase your cardiovascular fitness, burn mega calories, and engages the muscles in your leg and abs. My jump rope has weighted handles, so I feel like my arms are getting a really good workout, too. Use HIIT with your jump rope to maximize calorie and fat burn!


2. Front Stoop      FREE!      

I can think of a few things to use your front stoop for and you can probably think of more! Box jumps, step ups, step ups with a knee raise, and tricep dips are just a few I could think of off the top of my head.



3. Towel      FREE!      

Maybe this one is a cop out, but I need a towel to do abs and other movements where my hands are on the ground. Otherwise my hands or back hurt. I'm not a sissy, I can just work harder and longer if I am comfortable! A yoga mat would work fine, too, and I assume you could get one of those for $10 (I know you have a towel already, that's why I listed it as free!)



4. Stability Ball      $8-$12      

I got my stability ball at TJ Maxx and it is awesome. I know it was less than $10. Just stay away from Dick's and you can find one of these el cheapo. Stability balls are great for any number of different ab workouts and push ups. Check out this MegGoRun post for stability ball ideas!




5. Kettle bell      $15-$20      

Let me be clear, if you want a nice little compact kettle bell it's going to cost you some money. Or you can get a super cheap one that is much bigger but is less than half the price.


 Example: My huge 15lb kettle bell from TJ Maxx was $14. 


                                                          

                                            This 12lb one I got for a friend was $34.99 at Target. 

Yeah, huge difference. BUT you can do MUCH more with a small one. I use my huge one for kettle bell swings only, and that gives me a nice cardio and glute/leg workout. Bottom line: If you invest more money, you can do more with your kettle bell. But a cheap one works too... Hey, that's what I have! (Though I do want to get a nicer one!!) And now that I think about it, I wish Planet Fitness had kettle bells!


6. 1 pair of dumbbells      $5-$20      

You can usually find these plain, boring, metal dumbbells for 99 cents per pound. (That's cheaper than my chicken breast at Giant!) Buy yourself a pair that will give you the most variety of uses. Then start adding to your collection. I started with 8lb and 10lb dumbbells. I finally bought myself a $15 lb pair this past weekend. My dream is to own 20lbs and 25lbs too! But that's like another $100....ouch! Oh well, Christmas is right around the corner!


7. A deck of cards.      <$5      

If you've been reading this blog, you know I'm a fan of Deck of Card workouts. Check out this post, which will help you design your own!




And there you have it! I hope I gave you some ideas for some fun, cheap, equipment that might enhance your workouts!



Do you have any other cheap exercise equipment to kick your ass???

No comments:

Post a Comment