A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tips to maintain your exercise program... even though the lazy days of summer are over!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... One of my favorite parts about summer is that I can workout whenever I want. I can get it done bright and early or I can sleep in and run in the scorching heat! Trips to Planet Fitness can be arranged around what time it will be the least crowded and I can take my time and not look at the clock.





Well, those lazy, carefree days of summer are OVER! It's time for the 5:30am wake up call. Every Monday-Friday between now and June 6th (yes I know the date!) I will be getting my sweat on at 6am. Workouts will have to be carefully planned out the day before, clothes will need to be laid out and gym bags will need to be packed. No more care free "Hmmmmm what should I do today?" workouts.

I can't complain too much. First of all, I actually get the summer off, which is EXTREMELY awesome. Second, I do enjoy getting my workouts done first thing in the morning. Third, I like schedules. And honestly, I am at the point where I enjoy the benefits of regular exercise so much that I would get up at 4am to squeeze it in if I had to. (I've done it before!)

But maybe you JUST started an exercise program this summer, and now you are going back to work. Or you're going away to college. Or there is some sort of change in your life that may not make regular exercise as easy as it was in the summer.

Picture of The Beach - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com

NEVER FEAR! I have some tips for you! 


1. Schedule your workouts. Write them down on your calendar, program them into your phone, whatever you need to do. Exercise is an important part of your day, and should be treated that way. Look at it as an appointment that you can't cancel. You're worth it!

2. Plan ahead! If you work out in the morning, lay out your exercise clothes and accessories to save precious time. You may be less likely to skip a workout if everything is right there waiting for you! If you exercise after work, pack your gym bag ahead of time so all you have to do is grab it on the way out the door.

3. If you are pressed for time, or have a particularly busy day, get creative! Go for a walk during lunch. Try one of my circuit style workouts that only take 20 minutes (but PUSH yourself for those 20 minutes!), jog around the soccer field while you wait for your kiddo to get done with practice. Squeeze it in when you can. A little activity is better than none!

4. Identify obstacles that will deter you from working out BEFORE they happen and have a plan to overcome them. You know what your obstacles are, so set up a plan for when they occur. (Because they WILL occur!)

5. View exercise as a gift you give to yourself. It is not selfish to take time out of your day to be active. Family, friends and work are all important- but so is your health!


I will not sugar coat it and say, "Fitting exercise into your day is easy!" For some people it is easy, but for others who have more on their plate, the thought of setting 30 minutes aside is daunting. But if you DECIDE to fit it into your day and you DECIDE that it is worth it to prioritize your physical and mental health, you can MAKE the time.


I don't find the time to exercise. I make the time to exercise.


So now, share with me a funny story about how you had to get "creative" to fit exercise into your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment