2013 sure was an interesting year. A lot of wonderful things happened, a lot of stressful (to say the least) and sad things happened. But here we are on the last day of the year. This morning I awoke happy and healthy with my man and my kitty cats at my side. Any day I wake up next to the love of my is the best day, in my book. So here is a quick re-cap of some of our big events of 2013....
1. We celebrated 5 years of marriage! I can't believe it has been this long already. Looking back at this wedding pic... dang we look so young! I know I married the perfect person for me. Paul makes me laugh every day. I am the luckiest gal in all the land!
August 9, 2008, Hidden Brook Farm, Carlisle, PA
2. We took a trip to NYC to sit in the studio audience of The View (one of my long time favorite shows!). And then I got to go back and be featured on a segment. What a dream come true!
Yes, we purposefully color coordinated. I wanted to look TV ready!
3. I hit two running PRs- 19:51 5k and 5:41 mile. Then spent the rest of the year injured. What's the song? "There is a season, tuuuuuurn, tuuuuuurn, tuuuuuuuurn...."
4. We went on a couple mini vacations, including visiting my alma matar (IUP), Fallingwater, Atlantic City, and Ocean City New Jersey.
Paul organized the Western PA trip to IUP and Fallingwater!
Posing in the Oak Grove at IUP.
5. I gave up fake sugar. I had consumed enough fake sugar to last 5 lifetimes. I was due. Now I drink a ton of water and a ton of milk!
6. My husband had brain surgery to remove a large portion of a brain tumor at Johns Hopkins Hospital and it has helped his symptoms tremendously. The scariest time in our lives, for sure.
7. We lost our Basey Girl. I still can't believe I'll never get to pet her again. I miss her a lot. The day we lost her was one of the saddest days of my life.
Isn't she the prettiest?
8. I decided to become a a certified personal trainer. I have to register for my test soon. Gulp.
9. We booked a Hawaiian Vacation! We didn't go yet, but we booked it and paid for it, which is half the battle!
10. I discovered butternut squash. Yes, butternut squash gets a spot in the re-cap.
So tell me the highlights of your 2013!!! The good, the bad, and the squash!
What an intense year, especially your husband's brain surgery. I would have been a nervous wreck, however, I AM THRILLED to hear that it helped him tremendously!!!!! This is phenomenal news. AND OMG featured on The View - BOOO YA BABY!!! What on earth is on the agenda for you in 2014, seriously - so much amazingness happened to you last year!! And OH YES, butternut squash is a DREAM!!!! How do you prepare it? I shave it, cut it into pieces and roast with cinnamon - that's it, it's a dream and everyone always asks my recipe, but it's THAT SIMPLE, well.... Minus chopping the bad boy, LOL!ReplyDelete
I HATE CHOPPING BUTTERNUT SQUASH. Here is my tip: microwave it for at least 6 minutes, use a good knife, and then it will only suck a little bit. :) Other than getting it chopped, I use about a tbsp of basting oil and mix in some red onions and cranberries. And yes, going to The View was a DREAM come true. It was my favorite show for years. :)Delete
That's quite year. Being new to your blog I didn't know about your husband. Hope he is doing OK. And the loss of a pet...what can I say. The day Pepe leaves the earth I will be a wreck. But you did some other really fun things. I love Hawaii BTW and want to go back again. For some reason it's really easy and cheaper from LA. That's cool about the View and I can't believe they let you take pics! I went to see Ellen a few years ago and that was a huge no-no. But it was still amazing. I went on my 40th birthday so that was special. Here's to a great year ahead Meg!ReplyDelete
I don't write about him a lot because he is so private. It's hard, because I clearly am NOT private hahaha. That is cool you got to go to Ellen! At The View we were allowed to take all the pictures we wanted before and after the show and commercial breaks, but not during the live taping. Which island did you go to in Hawaii?? Yes, you are much closer than us on the East Coast! It's going to be 13 hours of flying and like 3 hours of layovers for us BUT it will be worth it!ReplyDelete
I usually hate The View because of all the shouting, but it seems you and I would agree on most things because Joy was always my favorite, too, and Elisabeth drove me NUTS. I don't think it's smart to give Jenny McCarthy a platform. What a cool experience for you!ReplyDelete
I had no idea your husband had brain surgery! I'm so glad it all worked out.
I agree about Jenny McCarthy- I stopped watching when Joy and Elisabeth left and Jenny joined. I Liz drove me nuts too, but it was fun to watch her and get angry!Delete
Hey Meg, long time no speak! I just read today's post, and am so sorry to hear about your husband's brain surgery...but I am glad to hear he is doing better. I went through something similar last year when my dad was hospitalized because we thought he had a stroke, then they thought he had a brain tumor. After multiple cat scans later, we found out he had encephalitis. He is doing much better now, too! Despite the highs and lows of 2013, I am looking forward to 2014, and am cheering on good health!ReplyDelete
Wishing you and your whole family good health as well! :) I am glad your dad is doing a lot better. Life's traumatic moments definitely make me take stock in what I have and all I have to be thankful for!Delete
A 5:41 mile?!?!?! Girl, you are FAST!! It's so cool that you decided to become a personal trainer. I bet you will be awesome! Go take that test!ReplyDelete
I *was* fast! Ever since then I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my knee!Delete