A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Monday, November 12, 2018

What I love about running in the freezing cold...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... On Friday, Kim @ Running on the Fly wrote about how she loves cold weather running. She much prefers the heat, but finds many things she loves about cold weather running.

I'm a lot like Kim. I LOVE running in the scorching heat. However, I will happily run through the dead of winter, even in single digits.

Having the right gear makes all the difference. I would never put myself through running in crazy low temperatures if it weren't for the proper gear.

The number one thing I love about running in the cold is what I love about every change of season... THE SMELL! There is a certain type of smell associated with the freezing cold and I love it. It reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of happiness. It makes me feel really good.
Is there something you love about running in the cold?

11 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I am not as dedicated of a runner as you and I will not run in single digits. However, I dont mind a snow run once in a while. Especially a snowy trail run where it looks like a winter wonderland! I dont think I even got one of those in last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running trail in the snow is so beautiful! I did that a couple times last year.

      Delete
  2. I love running in weather that's in the 60s just for a change and because my pace gets faster without even trying! I prefer running in the heat over cold though except I don't love running in direct sunlight. I don't care if it's 100 degrees out as long as I'm running before the sun has completely risen or when it's setting/already set. When the sun is directly overhead it just completely zaps me of all energy instantly when it's hot out. But if it's like 65 degrees and the sun is out I'm all good!

    That being said I prefer to race in cold weather, which I kind of forgot about over the last year. I need to plan a race up north next year when I go for my half marathon PR attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The Harrisburg Marathon is in Nov. :)

      Delete
    2. What is your weather like in November? Am I going to be TOO cold? haha

      Delete
    3. It completely depends. It could be 60s, it could be 30s. I would say do a PA race in October but then it could be 70s or 30s lol. PA is WEIRD.

      Delete
  3. It already feels like winter around here. What happened to capri weather?? Fleece tights for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have broken out my tights too! But today on the trail it was shorts.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I want lots of advice about layering up to run in the cold! I am looking forward to trying it in Seattle in December. How do I keep from slipping, for one thing? And do you recommend a gaiter or balaclava of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To keep from slipping, don't run when it's slippy. :) lol. You'll know if it's slippy or not. I don't wear a balaclava but I do like my neck and head/ears covered. It shouldn't be too cold in Seattle in Dec. I mean, it will be cold by your standards, for sure, but it won't be in the teens or anything, I wouldn't think. My favorite way to layer is running tights on bottom (so not really layered there unless it's like below 15 and I will put wind pants on top) and then a thick long sleeve, a fleece vest, and then a warm coat. I get that kind of stuff at Marshalls because they will have REALLY good gear at a fraction of the price. All my real thick running jackets were like $29.99 from Marshalls, originally over $100.

      Delete
    2. For gloves I literally double up knit gloves from the dollar tree. It's the only thing that works for me!

      Delete