A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 4, 2018

My New Gym Routine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thanks to some fun new exercises I learned at PT and some shoulder pain that has subsided, I feel like my gym routine has been invigorated! I wanted to show you what I've been up to at Planet Fitness lately, as some things have changed.

I still do my lifting in circuits because I don't like downtime or rest time. I always want to be moving.

Circuit 1

Dumbbell Chest Press- 3x10x25lb, 3x10x30lb
Seated Cable Row- 6x10x70lb
Thrusters- 3x10x10lb

I am finally back up to 30lb for dumbbell chest press. I can do 8-10 reps and 6 sets, which means I could probably move up in weights. The problem is, anything higher than 30lb is super awkward and dangerous for me to pick up and then lay back on the bench with. I would need a spotter or two to hand me the weights. What I could do if I wanted to up the weight on my chest exercises is bench press on the Smith Machine. I just haven't done that yet.

For seated cable row, I am up to 70lb. I love seated cable row as it just feels so smooth on my muscles.

Thrusters are like glute bridges on steroids! It's an exercise my PT gave me. The kicker is you HOLD for 3 SECONDS at the top and squeeze your glutes as tight as you can. Very exhausting! I only do 3 sets.

Circuit 2

Push Ups- 4x15
Inverted Row on TRX Cables- 4x15
PT Exercises

I use to do 6 sets of 10 push ups, but 10 is too easy for me, so I decided to do less sets but more reps. I use The Perfect Push Up and have been for several years as it helps me really focus on my chest when I use them.

I once read inverted row is one of the best back exercises to do, so I replaced dumbbell row with this exercise several years ago.

Between sets, I sprinkle in some of my "easier" PT exercises, such as ab braces, bird dog, leg raises, hip flexor stretches, supermans, and hydrants. These could be argued as "boring" exercises, so I mix them in with my lifting to soften the blow! Whether I find the exercises boring or not, I know they are important and that I must focus to be sure when I do them, I do them correctly.

Circuit 3

Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 6x10x22.5lb
Split Squats- 3x10

I am beyond thrilled I can do split squats again! I can't believe they don't hurt my knee or ITB! I only do them 2-3 times per week as I don't want to overdo it.

Circuit 4

Dumbbell Bicep Curls- 6x8x20lb
Dead Lifts- 3x10x20lb
Planks

I know biceps are "show" muscles, so if I am pressed for time, this is the exercise I skip.

My PT taught me to do dead lifts, and while I don't really like them because I feel awkward and not good at them, I trust the process and I will do what my PT says!

As far as planks, I do side planks and then forearm planks with one arm and one leg. Then I do them with one arm and one leg. It took a couple weeks to work up to that but I can do it now.

At my very last PT session, he showed me some more cool things I can do at the gym, but I am going to slowly incorporate them because I don't want to overdo it. For the next 2-3 weeks, I'm going to stick to this. Then I'm going to do some lunges, kettle bell swings, and some chops using the cables. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

GUYS, I WILL FINALLY BE DOING KETTLE BELL SWINGS AGAIN!!!!!

So that's what's going on at the gym with me lately!

Tell me about your gym routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment