A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Jumping Rope: A Favorite Exercise!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...




It's not just for kids in the schoolyard! Jumping rope is NO JOKE, and that's why it's one of my favorite exercises! I love throwing in some jump rope rotations during a Deck of Cards, Tabata, or 100s workout.


Muscles Worked During Jumping Rope:

Calves
Shoulders
Quads
Hamstrings
Core - Helps absorb shock and stabilize your body!


I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, so this is a good article about different kinds of jump ropes you can get. Mine is a speed rope with weighted handles. The weighted handles get your shoulders and back in on the action!





Benefits of Jumping Rope:

1. Jumping rope is one of those exercises that not only improves your muscular fitness but your cardiovascular fitness as well.

2. You can do it anywhere!

3. It's CHEAP!

4. It can be incorporated into your workout in many ways... Tabatas, HIIT, circuits, a quick finisher after a strength training workout... the possibilities are endless!


I am not a fancy jump roper. You need not be able to do fancy moves to reap the benefits of rope jumping. However, if you would like to try some stuff that's a little more advanced than the two footed hop, they have lots of videos on Youtube of men with six packs doing crazy stuff with a jump rope!

But I got distracted by videos like this...



I better get practicing!


Sadly, I haven't jumped rope in several weeks. It's super cold out and there's snow on the ground. My jump rope misses me. It's supposed to be unseasonably warm this weekend, though, so maybe a few rotations in the carport are in order!


Do you ever incorporate jumping rope into your workouts???


Check out my other FAVORITE EXERCISES!!!

2 comments:

  1. I used to love jumping rope at the gym, but since I don't have a membership it's been hard, and I don't space at my apartment. I suppose I could head to a park though...hmmm! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the only downfall is you need some sort of space to actually do it.

      Delete