I started doing something on Saturday.
Maybe you have heard of it.
It's called stretching.
I seriously think not stretching is one of the BIGGEST Fitness Sins I commit. I have lost massive amounts of flexibility over the past 12 years. I could blame it on getting old, but obviously I could have maintained my flexibility into my 30s had I just incorporated stretching into my workouts.
Stretching is boring. I like to move. This is why I never stretch. But I am at the point where I realize I NEED to stretch. And a few minutes of post workout stretching will be so beneficial and worth the boredom. I even asked for a foam roller for Christmas! I am super serious about taking care of my body and starting some new habits!
Benefits of Flexibility Training:
1. Releases muscle tension and soreness
2. Allows for greater freedom of movement and improved posture.
3. Increases physical and mental relaxation.
4. Reduces the risk of injury.
(Source: American Council on Exercise)
So I mentioned not stretching is my biggest Fitness Sin. Here is a list of some Fitness Sins you should not commit!!!
1. Not taking a rest day. (Guilty!)
2. Not performing a proper warm up.
3. Not performing a proper cool down. (Guilty!)
4. Not stretching.
5. Not drinking enough water.
6. Not properly fueling your body before and after your workout.
7. Doing too much too soon.
8. Having an all or nothing attitude. (Guilty!)
9. Ignoring an injury.
10. Only doing cardio and never weight training.
So how about you? Are there any fitness sins you commit???