A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Study Tips for the ACE Personal Trainer Exam.



General Study Tips


When I bought my study materials for ACE, I was completely overwhelmed. There was so much to learn. At first I kicked myself for buying the bare minimum, which was two main books: ACE Personal Trainer Manual 4th Edition and ACE's Essentials of Exercise Science. I had no study guides, flash cards, or practice quizzes. It was simply me reading the books and learning it for myself.

I can't attest to how helpful the other materials may have been, but obviously having study guides, video lectures, and already made flashcards, etc would have helped. It just depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how organized/focused you think you can be without all of that stuff. I would say if you have the money, definitely get the extra items! It couldn't hurt.


Some general tips about studying:

- Work at your own pace. ACE kept sending me emails about what chapters I should be mastering each week and they stuck to a 12 week timeline. It took me almost a year to learn all the materials. Learning it in 12 weeks seems crazy to me. Ignore the emails if they make you feel pressured.

- After purchasing your materials, you have 6 months to schedule the exam, but the exam can be months away. I scheduled mine four months away, so I ended up having 10 months total to study. I could have had longer, if I wanted.

- Sometimes I need math explained to me. I found this great Fitness Math powerpoint. ACE gives you the 8 main formulas you need, but this powerpoint explains them nicely.

- Take the practice exam that comes in your study bundle. Everyone says if you pass the practice exam, you will pass the real exam. I thought the real exam was much more intense- it's over 3 times longer!

Good luck on your exam! It is worth the hard work and effort!

21 comments:

  1. awesome tips!!!

    and congrats again on passing the exam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Dawn :) I don't know why I typed all this out but maybe someday it will help SOMEONE :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome that you have a friend to workout with who can make sure you're doing things right and push you. It's definitely good to have another set of eyes once in awhile because I know I sometimes develop bad habits that I don't even know I'm doing! I guess that's why they put all the mirrors- so you can watch your form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm favoriting this...I feel like someday, I'll want to take this step! Thanks for the insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very exciting! I couldn't find many "tips" about what was actually on the test when I was studying so I wanted to write down as much as possible.

      Delete
  4. I am the type of person who notices things like what 'wasn't on the test' as well, lol. Thanks so much for the tips and once again a giant CONGRATS on passing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I am so relieved and it still feels strange...

      Delete
  5. It is important for a personal trainer to have training certifications in order for the, to be updated on the least fitness approach. If you are interested to hire a personal trainer you could visit our site at noexcusefitness.com or simply contact as through our telephone number (949) 313-4034.

    orange county personal trainers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much! So much to study!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enormous blog you individuals have made there, I entirely appreciate the work.Personal Training Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly enjoy reading through on this internet site , it has got good posts .
    personal fitness trainers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate you typing all of this out! I, like you, only ordered the bare minimum to save money and then freaked out that I didn't know how to work my way through the material! I'm really enjoying reading the books and I've learned a lot so far. I found some Quizlets that have been very helpful and am trying to utilize every free online resource I can find (which is how I found you)! So, thank you! And a very belated congratulations on passing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same- looked for free online resources! Good luck with your studies!

      Delete
  10. Hi Megan, I found your blog when I was digging around to find some ACE certified personal trainers. I'm looking at a personal training cert and was wondering why you chose ACE over NASM or ACSE. Thanks for your input! :) -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulation to you for exam pass, moreover, thanks for share nice tips on fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice blog! helping a lot about Fitness. Thanks you for posting wonderful post.

    IIFYM Coach

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips, thank you!
    Visit https://practicequestions.net for lots of practice questions and additional information to help you write the ACE Personal Trainers Exam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work..
    Hbse result 2018

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    CBSE 12th Result 2018

    ReplyDelete
  16. This site is what I wish I had known when I started training. It’s www.TheSixFigureTrainer.com.

    I’ve actually been training for several years, but I still recommend this site because it helped me add $1,780 a month to my income in the last 2 months. I took the lead-generating course and learned about 4 new ways to get new clients I had never thought of. He has a free webinar too!

    ReplyDelete