A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Run 4 Sun 5k Race Recap



I will be straight up with you. I have only ever run one 5k, and a major reason I haven't run another one (besides that I don't race a lot anyway!) is that I thought breaking my PR would be hard, maybe even impossible. Obviously I know I am not going to PR every time I race. In fact, I didn't meet my goals for the last four races I trained for! But still, that was one of the reasons I didn't want to give the distance a go again.

I get SO nervous for races. Just looking up races makes me have to poop. I am serious. HOWEVER, I don't want to be nervous for races! And the only way to do that is to race more often. Race for fun. Maybe sign up for something last minute...

So that's what I did on Friday night! I randomly decided to run a 5k in York the next morning. Now, full disclosure, for about a week I had been thinking about running a 15k trail race that was on Sunday, but with the massive amounts of rain we had over the past couple days, I knew the trail race would be super muddy and I wasn't in the mood for that. I searched for something else and found the Run 4 the Sun 5k.

After I decided to run it (around 8pm Friday night), I changed my mind at 10:30, turned my alarm off and thought, "Eff this!" But then on Saturday morning I woke up at 6:24 naturally because Jelly was screaming for food and thought "What the hell!?"

Before I left that morning, I had to do some pace calculations. I then came up with these arbitrary time goals:

A Goal: PR (<19:51) <---- Unlikely, especially since I haven't done speed work in over two months.

B Goal: Sub 21 <---- Probably the best I could hope!

C Goal: Sub 22 <---- I would be mad at myself if I couldn't pull this out because I definitely felt capable.

I also came up with some goals that had absolutely nothing to do with my race time, but more my attitude about racing and my fitness in general:

1. Make myself do something I am nervous to do in effort to become more comfortable with racing.
2. Be happy with my time even if I don't reach my goal.
C: Get an idea of where my 5k fitness is right now.

So with all that in mind, I hopped in the car and drove down to York. I had been drinking coffee and Nuun water all morning and ate cereal and a banana in the car.



This was a small 5k. Parking was so easy, I didn't have to wait in line to register, and there was just the tiniest line for the toilets. So low key. I tried to calm my nerves, but my hand was shaking as I was writing out my registration check! I NEED TO GET A GRIP!!!!

Pre race photo. You can tell I am thrilled.

I went to the bathroom 3 times at home, 1 time on the way, and twice when I got there. This is par for the course every time I race. I'm basically dehydrated before I even start!

I lined up at the front of the runners. People are always nervous to stand in the front but I'm not!

Okay, now the race...

Mile 1: The entire first mile was a gradual incline. It was hard! There were two women in front of me. I passed one during this mile. My first mile clocked in at 7:05 and I was a bit disheartened. A 7:05 should not have felt that hard. But it wasn't flat so I told myself to just keep the effort the same and when it's flat, I'll be running faster.

Mile 2: We were running through neighborhoods now. It wasn't always completely flat but it was a lot better than the first mile. I started to get a bit of a side stitch so I concentrated on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. I also massaged my side. There were so Trump signs and when I saw them, I forced myself to pick up the pace a bit and not get complacent. I passed another woman and I was now first female! I could hear footsteps on my heels so I turned my podcast up so I couldn't hear anything. Hearing people behind me was giving me unneeded stress! (Second mile: 6:46)

Mile 3: At some point near the end of Mile 2, a brand new woman passed me. She was never more than a couple seconds ahead of me and I passed her a few minutes later. I forced myself to keep running strong so that she wouldn't keep up. I was huffing and puffing by this point and feeling throw upp-y. If that woman had not been on my heels, I would not have pushed as hard as I did. The last half mile or so was a gradual downhill which was VERY nice. My side stitch had gone away and I tried to relax, breath, but KEEP PUSHING. (Third mile: 6:35)

The last .17 (my Garmin measured it a little long) I was in full out sprint mode! I had just passed a bunch of guys but there was one guy just not letting me pass him. "Come on!!!" he shouted at me to motivate me to keep up with him. I thought that was cool. In the end we all just want to do the best we absolutely can and his motivation surely got me across that finish line a couple seconds faster. (5:42)



Post race selfie... a bit happier than pre race!

Chip Time: 20:56 and first woman! I was proud of my time and honestly don't think I could have done any better than that. It was hard the whole time. At the end, I felt very shaky and pukey. Pretty horrible. But I walked and cooled down with a short run and I felt back to normal. I drank lots of water and STARBUCKS which was there! In fact, in our race bag, we got a really nice Starbucks travel mug! It's funny because I needed one and almost bought one on Friday! (Not a Starbucks, just a cheapo one.)


 They had all kinds of prizes to choose from and I chose a $25.00 gift card from Target!



I wish I would not be so nervous to race, but I am glad I made myself do this one. At least running it last minute meant I was only nervous for about 12 hours!

Like my crooked race bib???

All in all, I am happy with how I did, and maybe if I get some guts, I'll go another 5k in a few weeks and try to beat my time!

Now what type of speed work should I do to prepare for that? IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!
Do you like last minute races or are you a planner?
What is the best prize you got at a race?

25 comments:

  1. Way to go! I am so happy you did this and you rocked it, girl! Sounds like there were some really supportive runners out there...that's what it's all about, right?!? Keep it up (but I have no advice on what to do for speed work...I'll leave that to the real runners in your community -- LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! For speed work I have always just done whatever. As long as I was running fast once a week, it worked. Yes it was nice to have supportive runners!

      Delete
  2. Great job girl! I notice I get more nervous at local races than I do at large city races. I think it's the pressure to perform well because you are only one of a few hundred rather than thousands! A Target gift certificate is a great prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point! I mean, at a huge race I'm never worried about what place I come in! I already spent my prize and I got some CUTE BOOTS!

      Delete
  3. Great job! First woman? And you are so speedy! I always get nervous before races--someone told me it means that I care about what I'm doing. So I'm going with that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to care, I just think I care a little TOO much. :) Thanks, Wendy!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your race. That's an awesome time!! I'm not sure if I ever have run a race without planning it ahead! Mostly it's because I sign up early to get the cheaper entry fees. I think that would make me more nervous if I decided the night before!! If I do run an unexpected race, I definitely would have been thinking about it for weeks, just not talking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You run lots of races so I can see why the cheaper entry fee is a good bonus for you! I usually opt for the fee without the shirt. I do not need another dumb shirt that I will never wear and just end up throwing away in 5 years... because it takes me 5 years to realize I'm never gonna wear something. :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on first female OA and a great time especially with no speedwork. Love that you won something useful too because who doesn't love Target gift cards?

    IMHO, for speedwork I would do tempo runs and longer intervals... and long runs on the weekends. I always seem to do better just training for longer distances and randomly racing 5Ks during training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempo runs like race pace runs? I can't remember how I was training when I did my first 5k. It was right before I started my blog! Otherwise I'd be able to look back and see.

      Delete
  6. Great job! I'm fine at races, but I do have to use the port-a-potties when I get there. I call it "race bladder" because I don't normally have to go that often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley! I know for sure I hydrate more before a race but mostly I am just crapping my brains out, not peeing. :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!! You are such a strong runner, I really admire your speed and how hard you work on your goals!

    I get more nervous for a local 5K than for big half marathons.

    I like doing last minute races, keeps me from stressing about every detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana! I was happy with how I did considering I didn't prepare and it tried wanted to see how I could do. I agree more nervous for small stuff!

      Delete
  8. 5Ks are SO HARD. You did so great! And I love that the guy shouted at you to come on! Runners are such a cool group of people. Congratulations, Meg! You are FAST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy!!! Yeah I may not have come in under 21 if it hadn't been for him yelling at me at the end lol.

      Delete
  9. Thank you Karen! Aww you have cried because you are so nervous? I just poop hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get really anxious about racing until I am doing it regularly. I think it helps to sign up for at least one before a big goal race. You did amazing, especially considering that you signed up for this at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Do you get nervous these days? I feel like you race a decent amount these days.

      Delete
  11. YAY!! I love that you set non-time goals and that you faced your discomfort/fear of racing and went and DID IT!!!!

    I love that you peed so much before. I used to do that before ANY race but now before 5ks I barely even stop and think about that...because I know it'll be over soon enough that it won't matter if I have to pee the whole time! I feel like...wow, that's a pretty interesting marker of how far I've come!

    Congrats on first woman and the BEST aware ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali! I was actually pooping all morning haha. But I was worried about having to pee during the race too but told myself what you told yourself... it will be over before ya know it!

      Delete
  12. Your running skills never cease to amaze me!!!!!!!

    Back in the day I used to call you "meg go run" when I mentioned something about you to Adam so he would know who I was talking about. He shortened that to MEGArun, so when I told him you got first woman this weekend he said "well yeah, obviously, she's MEGARUN!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to pick up the pace and finish strong. I have actually never done a true 5k race. Crazy. There is always a 10k option and I tend to opt for the longer distances. I would be really curious to run a 5k and see what it is like. Do you wear a heart rate monitor when you race? I bet that data would be really cool.

    I best prize I ever won for winning a race was a two night stay at a resort. Anytime I can win an "experience" I am happy! Of course, $25 at Target would make me happy too. I could spend all day in Target. :) Congratulations, once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually never worn a heart rate monitor! I bet you my heart rate was through the roof!

      Wow that is an awesome race prize! Target is a close second. ;)

      Delete