A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

When I was a kid...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

In second grade music class yesterday, we were singing a song called Falling Rain. It was about some kids who had to stay inside on a rainy day and use their imagination to find fun things to do. One thing the kids in the song did was take a cardboard box, cut a hole in it, and pretend it was a television. It sparked a conversation with my students about how when I was a kid, we had the really big and boxy TVs, but now everyone has a flat screen.

"Did you have Netflix when you were a kid?" a student asked me.

"Nope," I said. The student looked very sad to find that out.

"What about cars?" another one asked.

"Of course we had cars! What do you think, I went to school on a horse and buggy?" That made the kids laugh. 

Then I let each kid ask me whether or not certain things existed when I was a kid. I was dying of laughter! It was so funny to hear some of the things they asked...

(I highlighted my favorite ones!!!)

golf
books
arcades
glasses
Hulu
Space Invaders
Ipads
ice cream trucks
air hockey
Dollar Tree
phones
flip phones
instruments
DS's
reclining chairs
rollerblades
Roku

The conversation made my day. I love when a lesson gets sidetracked and a fun conversation happens!




What do you wish they had when you were a kid? I feel like Netflix would have been SO AWESOME and my head would have exploded from excitement!

10 comments:

  1. Did you try explaining how to tape a song from the radio???? The original downloading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not, I feel like that would make their heads explode!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, you should tell your kids about recording songs from the radio!

    I've never heard of Roku. Is DS, referring to Nintendo DS?

    I would have loved to been in on this conversation. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes DS is Nintendo DS and Roku I think is like a way to have cable without cable? Something like that. Who knows!

      Delete
  3. I watched this youtube video of a motivational speaker, talking about our childhoods. Mixes were done with tapes, and g-d forbid the actual tape get strung out and messed up. "Someone get me a pencil!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. YouTube! It is so much fun, but a wealth of knowledge too. I had to use it yesterday to help my son learn how to put rubber bands on his braces :)
    Did they really have cars and books when you were a kid?? haha . Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I feel like our childhood would have been so much better with Youtube!

      Delete
  5. Someone on FB the other day posted the question "what is something that someone under 30 wouldn't understand". OMG, the answers were so funny! So it was more of showing we we said, had, did or wore rather than what we didn't have. And how those things are not around anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like even people who were just like 5 years younger than me had a vastly different technological childhood than I did!

      Delete