A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The most stressful week in the life of a music teacher!



One of the perks of being a music teacher is that my students get to perform and display their talents for their friends and families! Over the past twelve years, my students have performed at Harrisburg Senators baseball games, special events at local businesses, and of course at our schools. I've directed choirs, show choirs, recorder bands, and school wide shows that included anywhere from 250-400 students!

Every other year, my elementary school puts on a "musical" that features all 3rd and 4th grade students- around 250 kids. Each year I pick a theme. This year, it's Rock and Roll! They're performing songs like Jailhouse Rock, Splish Splash, Rockin' Robin, and Surfin' USA. We have been rehearsing in music class pretty much ever since we came back from winter break. We are READY!

This week, we are finally able to rehearse on the stage. This is when all the final details come together... who stands where, how can we get 250 kids on the stage as quickly as possible, etc, etc, etc. I like being in charge but it is stressful. It's one of the most stressful weeks ever!

But that's the life of a music teacher! Even though this week is going to force me to be calm and patient, it is all going to pay off on Thursday night when the students get to be SUPER STARS and show off all of their hard work!
Is there a particularly stressful week or time of the year for your job?

9 comments:

  1. Good luck to all the kids (and you) on Thursday! I hope it goes well and at least the musical is at the end of the year, so you know you only have a few more weeks of school left once it's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once this is over it will feel so good. I do have two chorus performances in May AND I have a Junior Praticum teacher coming to shadow me in May... omg why is May so busy lol?

      Delete
  2. You got this girl! The kids are lucky to have such an amazing teacher. My job gets stressful when we are trying to get a release or a patch out the door to our customers. Lots of hours but I can do them from home so that is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a release and what is a patch?

      Delete
    2. Software release and then a software update.

      Delete
  3. Awe, music teachers are the parents' favourites! Do you get flowers at the end of the production? Good luck this week, and hopefully everything goes smoothly for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy! Sometimes the faculty gets me flowers, which is very sweet. Yes, you know who else likes music teachers? GRANDPARENTS!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, that sounds hard! I don't know if I could handle that many 3rd and 4th graders. Honestly, I'd be lucky if I could handle one. Good luck on the performance! I hope ya'll rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Today was rough. I am exhausted and my whole body aches. I don't even think I can go to tap class! :(

      Delete