A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Weekly Workout Recap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday- 10 miles on the treadmill. Despite the annoying people who got on the machines beside me (Loud Talker and Snot Sniffer), it was an okay run. Can treadmill runs really be better than "okay"? I ran anywhere between an 8:00-8:27.

Sunday- 5 miles outside. I wasn't feeling well at all. My stomach was upset and I was suffering from lack of sleep. Part of me wanted to take a rest day but the other part of me wanted to suck it up. I felt like I was slogging but  my paces were actually pretty fast.


Splits: 8:12, 8:07, 8:02, 7:50, 7:55

Monday- Back @ home.


Chair Asst. Pull Ups- 5x20
Row- 5x15x20lb
Band Asst. Neutral Grip Pull Ups- 5x8 
(the last 2 on the last set I could not get the whole way up!)
Bicep Curls- 3x10x15lb
Plank w/ Row- 3x10x10lb 
(I need 12.5s for these but I have not bought them yet!)
Bicycle Crunches- 4x40
Stability Ball Pull Ins-  4x15
I also sprinkled in a bunch of glute/hip exercises.

Tuesday- This was my first official day of training for the Capital 10-miler and I almost had to switch it around due to all the rain and ice outside! We had a surprise snow day, so after the ice melted, I drove to the gym and hopped on the treadmill for 8 miles. I did an 8:19 pace the entire time and it didn't feel good. I was hot and bored. I also walked for 8 minutes to cool down. I am trying a new thing where I walk 1 minute for every mile I run.

Wednesday- Chest @ home. This is my last split body part lifting session until April! From now on I'll be lifting twice a week but doing back and chest on the same day. It will take a little longer but it makes the most sense. I did lighter weights today. I'm going to go back up in weight on Monday. I needed some down time!


Chest Press- 5x10x20lb
Push Ups- 5x10
Shoulder Press- 5x12x20lb
Chest Press (neutral grip)- 4x15x15lb
Tricep Dips- 4x15
Bicycles- 4x40
Stability Ball Pull Ins- 4x15
Hip/Glute work

Thursday- I did my first purposeful speed work on the treadmill ever! This is in preparation for the Capital 10-miler. This is what I did:


Warm Up: 1.5 miles @ 6.9
Workout: 8x400 w/ 400 recovery in between
Cool Down: 1.5 miles @ 7.2

I don't think I ever ventured about 8.6 on the treadmill before. I was kind of scared to bump it up to much higher than 9.0 because I didn't want to fly off! My first two intervals I did at 9.0. The next four, I did at 9.2. The last two were at 9.4!! That's the fastest I ever ran on the treadmill and it was really a challenge. I felt a little throw uppy but managed to hold it together and complete the workout. My goal is to eventually be able to do all of the 400s at 9.4 speed!

Oh, I had the incline on 1.0 for this speed work. Is that what you guys do?

This whole workout was scary because in all the interval speed work I have ever done, I have never actually timed myself or aimed for a certain pace. I would just run by feel. Well obviously on the treadmill you are forced to know what pace you are running. So just attempting and completing this workout was a huge win for me and it won't be so scary next time! I was so tired when I was done. I walked for 7 minutes (7 miles = 7 minute walk!!) and stretched a lot.

Friday- 5 recovery miles around my neighborhood. My plan was to run easy because Saturday would be a tempo run. No reason to go balls to the wall the day before that!
Treadmill experts: What incline should I use for speed work?
What's the fastest you have run on a treadmill?

7 comments:

  1. I love how you "Sprinkled" hip/glute exercises in. Clearly they are super important since my last two injuries were related to that area.

    I cannot go nearly that fast on the TM! Believe me I almost fell off twice in my life and I wasn't near that speed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to list anymore what I do for that because I don't even know the proper names of the moves anyway! :)

      I wonder how many TM injuries there are a year? It would hurt to fall off even going slower and I do worry about that. :/

      Delete
  2. I'm a double knotter too. I love my shoes tight. Today I'm putting on a brand new pair, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job testing your comfort zone on the TM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I just keep my treadmill at 0 incline. At 5:30am I don't need any more challenge than actually running, so I'm good with 0 incline! The fastest I get on the treadmill for sprints is around 8.5. That feels scary fast to me! It's all relative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS relative. I think I know people that go 10+!

      Delete