Saturday was my second long run in my Boston training plan. It was 12 miles. I did it! I didn't know if I would be able to. I was nervous before my run. I was nervous every second during my run. I was nervous afterwards... What if my knee got really wonky after my run? So while I am very excited I was able to accomplish the run, I definitely wasn't having a carefree time out there!
I ran on the road in the neighborhoods around my house. It was relatively flat because I wanted to mimic much of the Boston course. I didn't stop to walk or stretch or anything. I allowed myself the option, but I didn't need it.
Here's what went down....
- My knee did not hurt.
- From a cardio standpoint I was fine. I wanted to push my pace after Mile 8 but I did not.
- All other parts of my body felt fine- no weird pains during or after my run.
- My knee went back and forth between feeling weak and feeling 'normal'. I would say it felt weak 70% of the time and normal the other 30%.
- It continued to feel weak for the rest of the day it I could tell it was a little warm and probably inflamed a bit. (I iced and stretched the heck out of it.)
**Sunday Morning Update: Knee feels relatively normal today. (Not NORMAL, but not weak like it did all day yesterday after my run.)**
I have a lot to think about. My knee is not totally healed or back to normal. If I didn't want to run Boston so badly, I would not have run 12 miles today. I really have to think about if this training and eventual race is going to be good for my body or not. Just because I can run 12 miles doesn't mean I should.
I am excited to see how it feels in the coming days.
The cool news is... I did some more math, and even if I could only run 15 miles of the marathon (I totally could have done 15 yesterday if I had to.) I would still be able to walk the last 11 miles with almost two hours to spare before the cut off time. Walk/running would definitely not be as fun as RUNNING, but it is looking like a viable option. Yet I still can't bring myself to look at all of my e-mails from the Boston Athletic Association and start researching things to do race weekend. I don't want to do all of that until I know for sure we are making the trip.
Now, onto some other thoughts. You all know that today's run was pretty important to me. So you would think I would have taken impeccable care of my body in the 24 hours leading up to my run?
1. Lay on the couch for 3 hours before the run, giving your knee ample time to get tight and creaky. (I had to blog and watch Sex and the City!)
2. Stay out until 11:30 pm the night before. (I'm 31, so that's the equivalent of staying out until 1:30 am for all you people in your 20s.)
3. The night before, drink unmeasured amounts of scotch to get your body good and dehydrated. (I was at my friend's for Girls Night and brought a flask. There was no measuring, just pouring.)
4. Eat copious amounts of cheese, broccoli, and bean dip. (Scotch lowers my inhibitions and makes me not care about calories and macros.)
Oh well, my run was not deterred by my poor Friday night choices!
Tell me, what is the stupidest thing you did the night before an important run?