A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Today, something GLORIOUS happened - (Double Digit Run!)


Friends,

Today, something glorious happened. I went on a Double Digit Run. That's right. Me, Megan Michael, the girl who hasn't run Double Digits since November 30th, 2014, ran 10 MILES TODAY!!!


The air was bitter cold, but the sun was shining, which made for running weather that was just fine. I loaded up my mp3 player with podcasts, and was looking forward to a nice, relaxing, Double Digit run with no expectations but to zone out and enjoy the fact that I was RUNNING.


It went well. The few small hills I ran were a challenge since I haven't been running hills at all. But for the most part, I was able to relax and maintain a pretty solid 8:30 pace for the duration of the run. My knee/IT band did not feel wonky at all. In fact, I wasn't even thinking about it.


I sure felt tight by the end and my joints mildly ached from pounding the pavement. But I did all my "maintenance" stuff. I warmed up and cooled down with a walk. I did my couch stretch. I used my Supernova to iron out some kinks. I did my mobility work and wore my compression socks. I am doing everything I can to get myself to running healthy again.


Today was so therapeutic! I really missed running long on the weekends. There is something magical about it. If you are a runner, you know what I mean. When I got home, I said to Paul, "I miss this feeling!" I meant the feeling after a long run when you feel tired, accomplished, and high, all at the same time. It's an indescribable feeling, but I know you know what I'm talking about!


I hope I continue to feel good and continue to get in some Double Digit Runs in the weekends ahead!



When was your last Double Digit Run?
Describe how you feel after a long run!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great run! How do you like the supernova? Do you think its worth adding to my collection of mobility tools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have replaced my foam roller with this. The foam roller just does not do ANYTHING for me anymore. So if you need something more hardcore than the foam roller, I would definitely recommend it. It's smaller, so you can get more exact areas, too.

      Delete
  2. Yay! The way you described the feeling after a long run is so perfect - tired, accomplished and high!

    Seeing March 1st on your blog just reminded me that it's really March already! Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I AM SO HAPPY!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel... there's a light at the end of winter, a light at the end of the school year... soon we will change our clocks and it will stay light out longer!

      The bad news is PA still gets snowstorms in March and even TODAY it is snowing and is supposed to ice later. THANKS, MARCH!!!

      Delete
  3. I love that feeling! Congrats on getting back to the long runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)Yes, chill a bit more you crazy Disney Princess!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful long run. There really is something magical about the first double digit run after time off!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WooHoo!! Hooray for a double digit run - always one of the best feelings to get in a nice long run and feel tired but so accomplished!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! And you know what that feels like this week. ;)

      Delete
  7. Yay! Congratulations on a fantastic double digit run. There really is something about accomplishing a double digit run that makes you feel really great. Yesterday, I did 20 miles and I felt really strong and amazing at the end. Such a great runner's high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, I am glad you got a good strong run in too! :) Hope you get to rest today!

      Delete
  8. Great job! There is nothing better than a post long run feeling. Tired, energized, happy, hungry all at once...and like you said that wonderful feeling of accomplishment ;) There is no better antidepressant, and this is why I find it so hard not to overdo the cardio. Finding that happy balance is key, though, to keep that wonderful post run feeling going for many runs to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I also have a feeling that wonderful long run feel would loose it's luster if it happened several times a week rather than just once a week. :)

      Delete
  9. Nice work!!! I bet it felt good not only physically, but mentally too. When I go a while without running longer distances, that first run "back" is always a bit scary. But, once it is over and I overcome that wall, it's one of the best feelings ever. I have run double digits for a couple months, but am hoping to do a half marathon in April! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary! I always question my ability, which is not something I used to do. You will rock a half in April! I have one in May that I haven't talked about yet. It's on trail and I'm not racing, so I should be okay if I can get a couple more 10-12 milers in before then.

      Delete