A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Race For Paws 10K - My First Virtual Race!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Yesterday morning, I ran Kristina's Race For Paws Virtual 5k/10k!

This was my first ever VIRTUAL race!



I must have been super excited to run the race because when I woke up at 4:11 am, I just could not fall back asleep! I still managed to look bright eyed and bushy tailed in my pre-race photo. (I also managed to be 3 minutes late for work. How does that happen when you wake up over an hour before your alarm was set!?)



It was dark and damp, but the temperature was a SCORCHING 39 degrees!!!!



I fueled up on iced coffee and one sip of water. Do as I say, not as I do.

Even though it was dark, the birds were chirping. I could hear them too because my mp3 player decided to stop working that morning!

I took my time on this run. A 10k PR is just not in me right now!

I warmed up and cooled down with a 1/3 mile walk.


I meandered all over the place...




I was happy to run to support Kristina and to support PAWS Chicago!


Post run photo with Jelly!

Post run photo with Chrissy!


I refueled with lots of Post Shredded Wheat, more coffee, and a banana.

6.2 miles is a weird morning distance for me to run. I was afraid I would be bored without my pod casts, but I wasn't.

All in all, I would say my first virtual race was a success. THANK FOR HOSTING, KRISTINA!!!!!

Have you ever run a virtual race?
When was the last time you ran without "entertainment" such as headphones or TV?

18 comments:

  1. 4:15 is when I have to wake up to run in the morning before work. I guess we start way earlier than you lol!

    I'm glad you had a nice race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang that would be an early wake up call. No wonder you run in the evening. :) I don't have to be at work until 7:55. Our kids don't even get here until 8:40!

      Delete
  2. GREAT JOB! Thank you so much for making a donation to Paws and participating in the virtual race!

    I think Jelly might be the only one looking at the camera in your post-run photos! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know I still can't figure out how to use the Ipad camera.

      Delete
    2. Jelly just stared at his beautiful self.

      Delete
  3. Great job! 4:11 is WAY early, I am still having a hard time adjusting to Daylight savings time! Yesterday it got up to 53* here, my kids were breaking out the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why I woke up!?

      Yeah Paul had the windows open all day yesterday! It SMELLED like spring in our house.

      Delete
  4. I forgot, if I am running outside I pretty much don't use headphones unless it is more than 12 miles--then I listen to podcasts. If I am on the treadmill, I NEED to have the tv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. The treadmill requires something extra!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Megan! Kristina definitely did a nice job organizing this virtual race - and what a great cause! Way to crank out the miles and get it done early in the day. :) I never run without music when I am by myself, but in a race environment I never have music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do the headphones for races either. I'd prefer to just zone out and soak it in!

      Delete
  6. Nice job getting it done! 4:15 is way too early for me. You morning people are something else! Hehe.

    Running with music/entertainment is not the norm for me. Sometimes on long runs or slow easy runs, but not often. Never in races, I think it takes away from being able to enjoy the race environment. It's always music for me - I just can't do podcasts. I've tried. My mind wanders like crazy when I run and I just can't pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4:15 is early for even ME!

      I agree about headphones in races. I would rather enjoy the experience!

      Delete
  7. I have done a few virtual races in the past when I was training for some bigger races. Did everyone who participated have to do the race on the same day? Could you have done it on a weekend?

    The last 5 races I've ran, I ran without listening to my own music, but their was of course things on the course to keep me entertained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a couple weeks to do the race so we could really do it whenever we wanted. I liked that. I am a commitment-phobe. If I had to commit to a certain day for a virtual race I KNOW I wouldn't do it. I would THINK I'd do it, and WANT to do it, but I wouldn't hehe.

      Delete
  8. I did Kristina's virtual race, too - fun to run a race virtually:)
    Running the 6.2 bugged me enough that I did an 8.8 mile run the next day to even out my mileage - I have issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, sore from your injury or just running sore?

    ReplyDelete