Today, my theme for Friday 5 is:
5 Memories from my Hometown run!
This past Sunday, I drove up to my hometown, Millersburg, PA, for a family gathering. I went a little early to do a six mile run around town. Boy did it bring back memories!
First of all, whenever I go to my parent's house, I always park under Grandpa and Uncle Jack. Millersburg recently hung up veterans banners all around town, and my Grandpa and Uncle Jack's banners hang right across the street from my parent's house.
I miss them a lot. Grandpa died when I was in college and Uncle Jack died a little over a year ago.
1. First, I ran down to the river and by the swinging bridge. I even saw the ferry boat coming across the river! The riverfront looks different than it did when I was a kid, but I remember playing down there as a child. We'd tube down the rapids, catch crawfish, and have fried chicken picnics!
2. Then, I ran up Moore Street past my grandparent's old house, looped around The Heights, and went down into Seal Park. We used to play at Seal Park all the time. I even remember my brother pushing me off the little bridge across the creek and into the water!
3. Next to Seal Park is the Millersburg Pool. I spent most of my summers at the pool. We'd ride our bikes there in the morning for swim team practice, ride home for lunch, and then ride back when the pool opened at 1pm! Do you remember pool food? Nachos, soft pretzels, Fun Dip, Cow Tails...
4. Then, I ran around the high school/middle school campus. First, I ran up to the high school track and did a couple loops!
We used to play King of the Hill on this hill behind the bleachers!
I lasted 5 practices on the track team and then I quit!
This is the pay phone we used to use in band to call our parents after a football game to come pick us up! I'm surprised it's still there. I wonder if it works?
This is the grass in front of the middle school. After I made it on to the student council, I was so excited to tell my mom. I was carrying my back pack and clarinet and ran across the grass to my mom's car to tell her the good news. Then I tripped and face planted on the grass!
5. The elementary school was clear across town, but that's where I headed next! I ran the back roads to Lenkerville and checked out the playground. I was sad to see that the only equipment that still existed from my days at the elementary school were the swings and the bug. Although, that was 25 years ago, so that's pretty good! Then I just had to run around the side of the building and check out the kindergarten playground. There was NOTHING left from our kindergarten playground. It looks like they put up a new basketball hoop or something...
By this point, I was at 5.5 miles so I headed home. It was a hot slow run, but it brought back some good memories!