I just took 10 days off from running!
No, it was not fun. Yes, it was good for me.
And... I may take a couple more days off since I am on a roll! (And I am sick... imagine that, it is easier to not run when you are sick as a dog!)
***You need to bookmark this post so you can read it the next time you know you need a running break and don't want to take one. Whether you need a day, a week, or even a month off running... SAVE THIS TO READ!***
1. You are still a runner.
2. It does not matter how many miles you ran/didn't run this week.
3. Think about the months and years you have dedicated to running. You are not going to "lose" all of it but taking some time off.
4. Life is long. Do you want to run for the rest of your life? Then you better take care of your body.
5. There are 1,000 other ways to move your body and stay in shape besides running. Yoga, pilates, walking, lifting, cycling, spinning, kick boxing... the list goes on and on.
6. Think about the reason you need to take a break. If you know a break from running is something you will benefit from, then DO IT.
7. Write out a workout schedule for during the time you aren't running. Be creative and have a PLAN. Because if you don't have a plan, you may just grab your running shoes and give in to temptation.
8. Or... give your running shoes to a trusted friend so you cannot cheat in a weak moment.
9. Remember that rest gives your muscles time to REBUILD. There is no point in tearing your muscles down unless you are going to give them time to repair and become stronger.
10. Your worth/merit/reputation as a runner is not defined by how many miles you ran today.
Leave some motivation in the comments! Can you add some tough love!?